Liking RL26

Hey!
Sssssssssssssh! Quiet. That stuff is already getting hard to find. :lol:

You are correct though. It's a pretty impressive, versatile powder.

salmonchaser":27dgbexi said:
86 gr RL 26; 250 gr AccuBond; 2950 FPS; SD 9.5 ; 100 yards: 3 shots
338 Jarrett.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard not to like that powder when you are producing results like this. I need to do more work with these newer Alliant powders.

The only thing that kept it from being perfect was I had left my 300 yard dope on the rifle with a minor wind correction from my last outing.
Still though, comes in at .246, beats my best group to date by .01. I guess that's important in an elk rifle:)

I'm running 89.0gr RE26 in my 338RUM under the 250 AccuBond. Velocity is right at 3,000 ft/sec. Groups of 2.5" at 400yds are not difficult to achieve.

I've gotten her up to 3000fps but felt like I was pushing her a little to hard. 3000 FPS and a 250 gr bullet is serious horse power.

That is awesome shooting! I’m gonna have to get me some of this RL26.

longrangehunter":1ugv0fsj said:
Nice Shooting............. The luck of the Irish, the cloverleaf that is! :)

One more time....just one more time.... I'd like to shoot a group like that. I wonder how RL 26 Would work in my 250 Savage?!?! :grin: Good for you! CL

Troy,
I’d think you’d run right on case capacity before you got it rev’d up all the way

That is some impressive shooting, well done!

My 338 Rum loves RL-26 as well. If I remember right I was running 88.5-89 with the 250 VLD and getting 3,000 fps and great groups out of it. I switched to the 265 ABLR and dropped down to 87 gr. and am pushing them at about 2925. In the RUM case, I haven't even come close to running out of case capacity with RL-26. I got another 30 fps with Retumbo and the 265 ABLR, but case capacity was becoming an issue there.

I have had great luck with it in a pile of other calibers as well. My wifes 6 CM pushes a 105 VLD @ 3220, my father in laws 270 WSM pushes a 140 AB at 3260 (26" tube), both my 6.5 SAUM love it with the 143 ELDX or 140 VLD, and my 280 AI pushes a 168 ABLR @ 2940 with it.

I couldn’t find any local to me, and the three places that sell powder in town said they wouldn’t order it for me. One of the dumbest things I’ve heard. I understand hazmat fees, but if you are out of some popular powders I would think you would want to order those for the sales.

So I ordered 9 lbs from Powder Valley. Almost $9 per lb cheaper than local powder cost, and it was in stock. Only downside is I will have a bunch of it.

So far I've only run it in my 6.5; 06 and the Jarrett. I've achieved very good velocity and accuracy out of each. With my goals I'll be replacing four different powders, probably more.

Back