150gr E-tip for 30-30

KenM

Beginner
Mar 10, 2018
Has anyone used these with good results?

I bought the Factory Nosler 150gr Ballistic Tip ammo this weekend and took it to the range to see how it performed. It was pretty accurate (1-1.5" groups @100), but my chrono only clocked it at an average of 2,037fps. I have loaded the Hornady 160gr FTX bullets and have been able to get them slung out there at about 2,350fps, so I would like to reload the E-Tips to see what they can do. My gun doesn't seem to like the FTX's, no matter what powder/load combo I use. (2.0-3.5" groups @100 at best).

I would use the Ballistic Tip bullets for this, but it seems they do not sell them for the 30-30, only use them in their factory ammo. :cry:

I will be using the LEVERevolution powder as I already have it on hand. Could someone please run a load sheet? I can't seem to find any good load data that I'm comfortable starting with. It would be greatly appreciated!

I will be shooting them through an cherry Marlin 336CS w/20" barrel. (1988 model I believe, according to what I could find searching the serial number)

Here's a link to the 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets, for sale at Grafs. I've happily dealt with Grafs for years:

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pr ... ctId/11827

And the 150 gr E-Tips, also avail from Grafs:

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pr ... ctId/28274

With the 30-30, I have almost always loaded 170 gr soft-point bullets to around 2,000 fps with decent accuracy. Nothing against the 150's though.

Sometimes Shooters Pro Shop has the 150 Ballistic Tips on sale. Looks like they've got the 150 gr E-Tips on sale now.

Regards, Guy

Search on google for a Nosler 51165 Ballistic tip.
A 150gn RN CTBT
Nosler has them in stock
Midway USA has them too.

Recommended speeds are
2600-1600fps.

I have loaded in 303Savage with Leverlution

Have not done 30-30, but both are slower than hard bullets like.
Etip might be too hard except at close range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Hornady 30310 GMX monoflex is 140gn. When loading monos you might not have room for heavy for caliber bullets. The 140 should be smoking along nicely in a 3030.

Let us know which way you go and how it performs!

Thanks guys! I should have been more descriptive.... I used the factory 150 gr Ballistic Tip Hunting ammo (#40065), and was looking for the 150 gr Ballistic Tip Hunting bullets to reload. I know they have the 220 gr RN, but was looking for the 150. I might give the Ballistic Silvertip a try, but I have never used these before.

@ mjcmichigan- Do you think the E-Tips would be too hard out to 200-250 yards? I will be hunting here in the Black Hills, SD so I don't anticipate a shot longer than that nor would I take one. A buddy of mine has used the 150 gr spitzer in his 308 with good results, but its moving faster.

Oh, the Ballistic Silvertip is the same doggone bullet as the Ballistic Tip, just a different coating on it. Shouldn't prove to be any sort of problem at all.

Regards, Guy

I’ve been running 150gr Sierra FN. @ 2200fps and 170 partitions @ 1980fps. Both proven effective bullets. The nice thing about the 30-30 is they have the components figured out!

KenM":2vbqml8r said:
Thanks guys! I should have been more descriptive.... I used the factory 150 gr Ballistic Tip Hunting ammo (#40065), and was looking for the 150 gr Ballistic Tip Hunting bullets to reload. I know they have the 220 gr RN, but was looking for the 150. I might give the Ballistic Silvertip a try, but I have never used these before.

@ mjcmichigan- Do you think the E-Tips would be too hard out to 200-250 yards? I will be hunting here in the Black Hills, SD so I don't anticipate a shot longer than that nor would I take one. A buddy of mine has used the 150 gr spitzer in his 308 with good results, but its moving faster.

I checked the Hornady Ballistic calculator. If you are getting 2200fps, the energy is underwhelming at 225 yards.
If you can get 2400fps, it’s still at 1972 at 250 yards. Here’s a picture from the Nosler manual. You can see at 1800, there is minimal expansion. I do like your powder choice. That Hornady GMX I mention was designed for 30-30 speeds and will keep opening. Nosler makes PT for 30-30 applications in a 170gn.
2c477b73439dc3634420067482e6101f.jpg

mjcmichigan":bgbjzzpn said:
KenM":bgbjzzpn said:

I checked the Hornady Ballistic calculator. If you are getting 2200fps, the energy is underwhelming at 225 yards.
If you can get 2400fps, it’s still at 1972 at 250 yards. Here’s a picture from the Nosler manual. You can see at 1800, there is minimal expansion. I do like your powder choice. That Hornady GMX I mention was designed for 30-30 speeds and will keep opening. Nosler makes PT for 30-30 applications in a 170gn.
2c477b73439dc3634420067482e6101f.jpg

Nosler wouldn’t develop an e-tip specifically for the 30-30 and not adjust the expansion properties accordingly. You can’t judge what the 150 RN e-tip would do compares to the 168gr e-tip pictures would do. The 168 e-tip was designed with a MUCH greater starting velocity in mind and is designed accordingly.

63538dc45df096992076647a1fe31f7f.jpg

My marlin 30-30 is the only gun I have not reloaded for. The Winchester 170 factory ammo prints 1 inch groups all day long. But I was interested in trying the nosler bullets too.

Do you need a crimping die for the 150 e tip?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

To Bear’s point, the Nosler etip for 30-30 would work fine. That’s a new bullet. It’s not in my current Nosler manual and I hadn’t seen it online.

Call Nosler tech service, ask them for two things,
1) velocity ratings ... it should compare to what they did for the BT, opens more at lower speeds, and a lower max speed,
2) recipes. I’d expect it to be close or the same as the BT 3030 150gn

You should be good past 250 yards. Use a Ballistics calculator to estimate speed at game range to estimate how much it will open.

Thanks bear...

ShamrockShooter":1mgyg7d9 said:
My marlin 30-30 is the only gun I have not reloaded for. The Winchester 170 factory ammo prints 1 inch groups all day long. But I was interested in trying the nosler bullets too.

You will need a crimp for ALL your 30-30 reloads. Using them in your lever gun, you should crimp all your reloaded ammo. The reason being: In a tubular magazine such as your Marlin, when you fire your rifle with rounds loaded in the magazine, they "slam" against each other (tip to primer) and it is possible to push your bullet deeper into the casing. This could result in loss of accuracy due to inconsistent seating depth and/or a whole slew of other problems. I use the RCBS full length die set, that has a roll crimp built into the seater die.

I ended up ordering the E-tips and will try them out and post back here when I take em to the range.

KenM":2gbwy6no said:
ShamrockShooter":2gbwy6no said:

You will need a crimp for ALL your 30-30 reloads. Using them in your lever gun, you should crimp all your reloaded ammo. The reason being: In a tubular magazine such as your Marlin, when you fire your rifle with rounds loaded in the magazine, they "slam" against each other (tip to primer) and it is possible to push your bullet deeper into the casing. This could result in loss of accuracy due to inconsistent seating depth and/or a whole slew of other problems. I use the RCBS full length die set, that has a roll crimp built into the seater die.

I ended up ordering the E-tips and will try them out and post back here when I take em to the range.
Thanks. That is what I figured. Let me know how they shoot.

I’m a big fan of the lee factory crimp die. I crimp as s last stage after seating. The LFC makes for a nice and consistent crimp even with brass of inconsistent lengths. If using a roll crimp you have to strike your brass to get consistent crimps

Back