.308" 190 LRAB neck sizing problem

fremont

Beginner
Jan 14, 2017
Prepared 300 Win Mag cases with Lee collet die. Loading two different bullets: 200 NAB and 190 LRAB, both COAL = 3.330". I pushed completed 200 NAB against wooden bench with no decrease to COAL. Tried with 190 LRAB and it pushed relatively easily back into case. I double-checked 200 NAB and, again, no problem.

I could only find one post on the internet about a LRAB moving back into the case after neck sizing. Is this an ogive issue for this bullet?

How many times has the brass been loaded/fired using the Lee CD? I find the Lee needs brass annealed every three or four firings for good neck tension.

Not saying this is your cause, I’ve not played with ABLRs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may be a seating depth issue if you seated it past the bearing surface, but its not an ogive issue.

drakehammer":1j0329hk said:
It may be a seating depth issue if you seated it past the bearing surface, but its not an ogive issue.
At the COAL in the Nosler manual.

joelkdouglas":1b41wqnw said:
How many times has the brass been loaded/fired using the Lee CD? I find the Lee needs brass annealed every three or four firings for good neck tension.
First time. Brass hasn't been reloaded more than 3 or 4x max and always FL.

Use a slower powder and put more in the case so it can’t slide back. [emoji1]

Kidding aside, have you tried several? I wonder if you got a box of undersized bullets (unlikely) or maybe a few that are?

gbflyer":86fstmij said:
Kidding aside, have you tried several? I wonder if you got a box of undersized bullets (unlikely) or maybe a few that are?
I stopped after trying the first 190 LRAB and having it slide back. I went back and tried all 200 NAB's that I loaded (using the exact same collet sizing) with no pushback.

Does the die need to be screwed into the press slightly more for the collet to compress the neck further & increase case neck tension?

In my opinion one of the downsides of the Lee CD, of which I have at least three (for four cartridges for which I load), is the brass needs annealed regularly for successful results.

I think highly enough of the Lee CD I have had Lee make me custom Dies for wildcats.

Without being there though, I’m not sure that’s your problem. If you were having that problem with one bullet I would think you would have the problem with both.

Good comments; keep 'em coming.

My collet die was in about 1.5 turns after contacting the shellholder. Lee's setup instructions call for at least 1x and higher, esp. if your press toggles over. I use the Rockchucker and don't toggle over. I push down until I feel resistance--Lee calls for 25 lbs IIRC.

The O.D. on my necks are the same between FL sizing and the collet. Additionally, as I mentioned above, I don't have a problem with one bullet (200 NAB) in neck sizing; only the 190 LRAB.

Back