Reload 1:8 twist 300 win mag ?

DarkMoose

Beginner
Dec 19, 2016
Just purchase a new Browning Xbolt long range for hunting Moose and Black bear. But I just saw on the website they now have a twist of 1:8. I plan to reload with the AccuBond LR in 210 gr and h1000 powder (still get 2lb from previous load) The matter is if I check with miller formula I will get a SG between 2.3 and 2.4, I'm concern about get a little over stabilized bullets. Some ever try some load like this ?

You'll be fine. Good hunting bullets wont have a problem with too much rotational speed. That was an issue with old target bullets and weak jacketed stuff. I haven't blown up a 50 BT out of my 8 twist 22-250 yet either. That should be a wicked combo you have there.

There is no reason for concern. So That fine young man above mentioned it was with .22 cal bullets, and thin jackets that caused the issues that don't exist today, and not in .30 cal bullets. Berger's Tactical line uses a thicker jacket that was thought to be for this purpose. A 1:8" or even the 1:7"'s for .22, .243, .264" don't causes issues with bullets blowing up after leaving the muzzle, or becoming unstable.

You'll be amazed how well they perform.

Back