.308 Win

boomer68

Handloader
Oct 23, 2006
Trying out some 165gr BT in my Vanguard S2 and wondering if I should play with OAL?
Using Varget, Lapua brass and Fed 210M. OAL is 2.800”

afr8PsM.jpg

Did you put that load on a chrono? Vertical stringing is usually more to do with large es, while horizontal is generally the rifle. If the es is good then start seating out by 0.030" at a time, should see something tighten up. How far out can you seat in that mag?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

thatguySHM":a79wlanx said:
Did you put that load on a chrono? Vertical stringing is usually more to do with large es, while horizontal is generally the rifle. If the es is good then start seating out by 0.030" at a time, should see something tighten up. How far out can you seat in that mag?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

No, haven’t run it over a chrono yet. I will next range trip and see what the ES is. I’ll also check mag length too.

I know that 44 grains of Varget is listed as Nosler's most accurate Varget charge, but you're a couple of grains off from "max" according to Nosler, and I've found excellent accuracy with 45 & 46 grains of Varget using 165 & 168 grain bullets.

45 grains of Varget with a 168 was my standard match load, and standard for many others, for a long time.

A short-action 308 doesn't allow for much change in seating depth, you can certainly adjust it some. I still just seat mine to 2.8" and that works fine even at 600 yards.

The TIGHT horizontal spread on your target is terrific, and indicates that someone knows how to control the trigger finger! Nice. Also the group itself appears to be about an inch, but with that tight horizontal spread...

And the fact that you're using a good rifle, a good cartridge and good components... I think there is some improvement to be had. I'd try working towards 45 grains, or maybe a bit beyond. Watch for all the usual signs, but I think you can bump up the charge a bit and tighten that group.

BTW, that bullet from either the 308 Win or the 30-06 is a terrific all around hunting bullet!

Regards, Guy

Back