RL26 finish off load question

joelkdouglas

Handloader
Jun 5, 2011
Gents,

Thinking here about how to finish off the loads with the RL26.

For the 25-06
IK8DUmP.jpg

The node for the 25-06 looks like it's about 54.6 - 55.4 grains. Less than 20 fps spread between the highest velocity and lowest velocity in that range.

For the 30-06
dnjdE6E.jpg

Looks like 60.2 - 61.0, 13 fps velocity spread between those charges.

However...Cheyenne hit it's first 80 degree day yesterday (we even had some snow in May), and assuming I stick with the above two loads I'll be out when it's cold. There's also likely some altitude difference. Cheyenne is 6000 ft, might hunt to 8000 or 9000, might be at 4000.

Given the above where would you select the powder charge? I was thinking instead of directly in the middle of the node I might pick about the 2/3 up notch. For the 25-06 that would mean about 55.0 or 55.2 range. For the 30-06, maybe 60.6 or 60.7?

What I hope is when I get out in cold weather to verify the loads again the accuracy and POI hold true. If this test were with H4350 I would think less about it, but I think RL26 displays a little more temperature sensitivity than the Hodgdon Extreme powder. To complicate matters, the hunting grounds are higher elevation and will get lower temperatures during elk season than Cheyenne will in September. I'll likely be hunting elk before I can verify the loads in cold weather.

Thanks gents!

As it is as warm now as you would probably ever see hunting that seems to make sense. Give yourself a little more room on the downside.
Good idea I think.

60.6 for the 30-06 and 55.2 looks like the center of two wide nodes to me.

Thanks for the powder recommendation Scotty! You were right, this RL26 is pretty easy to work with, loads came together fast!

4 images of 4 seating depths shot yesterday. These are the 200 grain Partitions at about 2730 fps from the 30-06. All images are 4-shot groups. Group size alone, the bottom right is the smallest group.

Upper right, the shot away from the others was the first shot of the day. Quite possible a flyer, also possible that I hadn't figured out a comfortable position yet and I sent the flyer (because almost always shooter error).

Top left, 0.01 off lands. Top right, 0.05, bottom left, 0.09, bottom right, 0.13.

Here's the 25-06. All 4-shot groups.

Upper left, 0.01 off the lands. Top right, 0.05. Bottom left, 0.09. Bottom right about 0.075.

I was going to try 0.13 in the bottom right but I run out of bearing surface; the bullet is seated too far in the case.

Suggestions?

I’d adjust seating between the .01 and .05” loads for each rifle. As is you have winners in both.

Maybe I should try RL26 in my Sendero 25-06AI. I have some 115 Berger's, I will see if I can get some of the 110ELDXZ. Thanks for the info

I took the 30-06 with 200 ELDXs out today. Windy at the range here, but I want to verify the load before I take it out for elk. As it gets colder I'll likely reverify/mess with it some more if needed. I also need to shoot it at longer ranges.

But today it's good. 60.5 RL26, CCI250 primers, Norma cases, 200 ELDX bullets 0.025 off the lands.

jWRW2q5.jpg

Back