.357 and .38spl loads

Polaris

Handloader
Dec 16, 2009
#1 Working on some higher accuracy loads. I want to shoot cast, and haven't ordered a large quantity of bullets yet, so I'm open to options. Loading for a new Taurus m66, 6" barrel. The initial load I tried with some Hornady 158 SWCHPs was quite accurate, loaded with 5 gr unique in .357 cases. Basically a full power .38 load at this speed, my understanding these Hornadys are relatively soft and shouldn't be pushed north of 1000fps. Problem is, unique meters like cornflakes, I would like to use a spherical powder. Purpose will be casual shooting for accuracy, and IHMSA field pistol silhouette to 100m. Don't need to step on them for this, but would like to step them up a little for the 75 and 100 yard targets. Wondering what bullets and powders, and loads folks have been using that might fit these parameters. I have HS-6 and HP-38 on hand. I also have both .357 and .38 brass, so if you have a rockin' .38 load I'd be interested.

#2 Full power bear and deer load. I have Nosler 158 HP. I have IMR 4227 and H110. What's the winning recipe? Personal experiences on game with this bullet or others? Any personal experience on soft targets at 38p+ type velocities (wife doesn't do well with full power .357s in her sidearm). This will be to replace the soft lead over-speed bear load I have been using.

I’m loading Accurate #5 right now in 357mag. 8-9gn for 158gn LSWC. A5 is spherical.

It meters well. IHOP’s a very short barrel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16.5 grs H110 with Jacketed 158 gr is my full power load for 357 mag. revolvers. As for using the 357 mag. for deer I have killed my share and have found that you have to place the bullet perfectly preferably broad side in the heart/lungs and try to keep your shots inside 50 yards. The Hornady XTP and Speer Gold Dot are the bullets I prefer because they expand quickly but hold together and penetrate well. Be prepared to do some tracking after your shot because they usually run off a ways before they bleed out. As for bear leave the 357 mag at home and get something that starts with 4 and pushes at least 240 grs of bullet 1000 fps and faster. As for self defense against humans with a 38 Special the Speer 135gr Gold Dot Short Barrel bullet driven by 5.2 grs Unique. Plus P load, does average 850 fps from my 2" barrel 38s and is pretty accurate and shoots to the sights. If you are thinking of using a 357 mag or 38 Special for defense against bear, even black bear, your fooling yourself. In a pinch maybe you could stick it in a bears mouth or under his chin and empty it as it eats you. They just do not have enough authority to get into where a bear lives reliably. For my foraging around, hiking etc. in my area where black bear are common I carry a Ruger black hawk 5 1/2" 45 Colt loaded pretty stout with alternating 250 Hornady XTPs and 250 hard cast SWC

Back