When powder goes BAD

41rem

Beginner
Jun 8, 2015
Older metal can Dupont IMR 3031. Was in a display case with 5 other powders slim & tall glass bottles with cork stoppers.

20180609_145848.jpg

No idea of this. Why was is in stoppered glass bottles? Anyway, something reacted with some of the powder components. What happened to the cork? What about the bottles with other powders?

ethmoid1999":cwiq4q99 said:
No idea of this. Why was is in stoppered glass bottles? Anyway, something reacted with some of the powder components. What happened to the cork? What about the bottles with other powders?

It was just a display of different powder types (ball, flake, short extruded ect...) on my reloading room wall. I'm assuming the cork is in that green mass, all the other powders are fine. Just the 3031 went south

ethmoid1999":1yi0qsa5 said:
What about the powder in the can? Is it still good?

The 3031 is gone, that must have been the last of it.

Still have a 4350, 4198 & 4831 all IMR of the same vintage & they look and smell perfect.

Some lots of older 3031 must not have the same level of endurance?

That's some kind of mess. Weird. I had 1 old metal can of 4320 go completely bad, as in clumped up and got rusty looking and smells really stale, but I blame all that on the little cardboard seal was missing under the metal cap.

Still got quite a bit of 4895, 4831, and 4064 in the old metal cans that look and smell like new powder. Went through about 3 old cans of the 4350 that served me real well. Hard to read the price stickers on the cans that have them, but one I can see is down at $10 and some cents.

Back