That'll work.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Done some adjusting with Pop's 348 and wanted to shoot a couple of rounds to test it.

It always shot high for me and I didn't know what to do about it. High enough that it caused me some concern on game because it required a certain amount of guessing as to exactly how low to hold. I already had the rear sight ramp as low as it could go. When I actually took the time to look closely, Winchester already thought of this potential problem. The buckhorn sight is milled into 2 separate pieces with a tiny set screw. The rear piece sits inside a rail of the main buckhorn V. Loosening that screw allowed the rear piece to slide down against the sight base, which moved it down quite a bit.

Shot at 50 yds. First shot was success as in way low for a change, so now I had lots of adjustment available the other way. Adjusted the main ramp up and it shot center. Next shot I put low, and the 3rd right back in close to center. Pop's old model 71 would make me feel good inside if all I could do is hit a pie plate. So blessed to be able to live the experience.

Glad you got it where you want it.
It's great seeing old rifles still doing their thing.

That’s great! That rifle is big medicine. Hope it is lucky for you but either way you’ll look danged good carrying it!

Thanks, I didn't shoot much higher before on target, just had to hold lower. Got away with it last yr on a deer, but a somewhat guessing game as to how low to aim on a deer bothered me going forward. Glad I discovered a simple solution.

Had it loaded before at 57.4 with Varget and it shot every bit as good as far as overall groups the few times I shot it, but in the interest of going easy on it I decided to try knocking it down to 57 and it appears to group fine. To be honest without a peep sight I'm not sure I can accurately access much differences in better or worse loads. Was at 2550 before so should be right around 2500 now and I don't think deer will notice much difference.

I think you could club anything you want with that load. A 200 at 2500 will handle just about anything. I’d bet there were a lot of animals that succumbed to that same combo over the years.

Back