Action screws and torque

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
If an action is fully bedded and free floated let's say like I sendero what should the action screws be torque to??? I fully bedded one of my Weatherby accumark but I don't think since it is very tight in the stock needs 55 in pounds what say you

If bolting into an aluminum bedding block I’ll really torque them down, 55-65, if into bedding compound I’ll generally start with 45.

Occasionally I have found one where it likes different tension. My manners with my shorty 308 shot best when torqued to 35 rear screw 45 front screw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bedded or not, I like to torque to factory recommendations, shoot, & retorque. Never found it necessary to deviate from this.

A few years ago when I checked with the manager of the Remington Custom shop he said to torque the screws to 30 to 35 in-lbs. That was with a Bell & Carlson stock. I agree with you, that if the fit is tight, it shouldn't require a lot of torque to hold the action in place.

drakehammer":10bqfvpu said:
Bedded or not, I like to torque to factory recommendations, shoot, & retorque. Never found it necessary to deviate from this.

Yeah but before there was no bedding it was steel to aluminum bedding hence the 55 inch pounds

FOTIS":1a6kqiwj said:
drakehammer":1a6kqiwj said:

Yeah but before there was no bedding it was steel to aluminum bedding hence the 55 inch pounds
Why not continue with 55? I never heard of bedding as a reason to reduce lb ft torque on the action.

Possible torquing of the action?

If you skim bedded the aluminum bedding block to fill the voids that the machining process left behind then your still mounting the action in a aluminum block so I would still use the factory torque setting since you have eliminated any possible torque of the action in an uneven bed.
My H&S stock which has a full bedding block came with epoxy putty to use to fill the machining voids. I didn't use it since it was not necessary. I would still torque it to the recommended 55inlb.
If it was properly bedded there should be no action torquing all things being equal.

I’ve always did 55 in/lbs on stocks with aluminum block , 35 in/lbs without block is what works for me.

Sooooo with a few of my rifles that I placed into aluminum chassis, I torqued to 35r/35f and then shot for groups. Increased the front by 5inlbs and shot again. Increased and shoot, etc up to when I saw a satisfactory group and stopped. Retested with that torque and went from there. I think it was 50 or 60.

Second rifle I started at 35/45 and got close to the same ending torque.

Maybe I was matching a variable to an already developed load designed for other torque on that setup, or maybe it was something else.

I bought a single, high grade T handle torque driver at #60 pounds. I use it for all my actions and chassis. I value consistency more than the actual torque value.

Back