Cone of dispersal

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
6.5 x 55 with some 129 Hornady SSTs.
Circular pattern starting at upper right and going counter clockwise. If I make the bullseye big enough I can get a few in the yellow. .
ff0b1b76db04a842864e48401d76fa58.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's funny you mention that.

I've actually been starting to track data on bull size and my group accuracy. I always thought the smaller the bull, the more accurate the shooting.

I'm not so sure anymore. I'm finding that I average smaller groups with a 1.5" or 2" bull than I do with a .5 or 1".

Not sure why, the sample is still pretty small.

I use a square bull, I think your eye naturally centers on a little larger bull, for me anyway.

I have nothing to back this up but read once the eyes will naturally center on a circle, that a larger peep sight was just as accurate as a smaller one. For me it's a matter of poor eyesight and being better able to see the crosshairs with a larger bull.
I've tried smaller bulls without improving the groups so just accept my limitations and happy just to get something decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have my rifles sighted so the shoot 2" high at 100yds so I really never see the group as I shoot it
and have a clean sighting point for each shot that way it doesn't mess with my head as I shoot and can hold on hair out to 200yds and not worry about hold over.

Back