Introduction

Hornet

Beginner
Jul 6, 2009
Been following this forum for a while and thought I'd finally jump in. First off, let me say that this is a great forum. I love being able to come here and enjoy some good wholesome information. Solid crowd. Second, I'm from the beautiful state of Washington, but unfortunately, currently relocated for work in the big “emerald” city. The population and politics sure put a damper on hunting and shooting. I envy those you who have easy access to your playground. Despite the difficulties, I'm going to take on a few new projects.

I recently inherited some reloading equipment and am going to give it a go. It looks like most of the basic equipment is here. I'll have to buy some new shell holders, dies, and components for my cartridge, but should be on my way soon enough. Below is a couple pictures. First time I've seen a press like this. Marked CH. I couldn't find much information online, but appears to be formerly made by CH Tool, which now looks like CH4D. Feels solid.

First project on the list is loading up some 265 ABLR for a 338 RUM. I'll start a new thread on this later, but the intent is black bear hunting in the North Cascades above tree line. This will be a new one for me as I'm used to hunting the temperate rainforest jungles for blacktail deer and roosevelt elk, with most shots under 50 yards. Season opens next month, so I better get to it!
da1f4879f723f0f16d39615a43c2429a.jpg
7354f496ec7d0d4d60912427d9be9503.jpg

Welcome aboard. Always pleased to meet new people. That is some neat old equipment that needs to be put back into use. The 338 RUM will definitely "git 'er done" with black blear. That'll deliver a heckuva blow at some distance. The ABLR is a fine bullet. I've only loaded it in my 280 Rem, so far. However, it has account for elk and mule deer in that cartridge. Again, welcome to the forum, and thanks for the post.

Welcome to the forum. Great group of guys and gals here who are always willing to share knowledge and support.

Welcome from Chelan County, Washington. Over on the other side of the Cascades from you!

Our own mod here, JD338 has used a 338 RUM for quite a few years now, and is using the 265 gr AccuBond LR bullet on an upcoming moose hunt. He's got some good info on handloading for it. Might be a thread or two around that a search would reveal? Not sure.

Bear hunting in Washington can be an outstanding adventure! My son and I have done well with them since first successful in 2010. Our shots have been from 150 - 300+ yards, and then I've made a very close range shot, following up a wounded bear.

Welcome to the forum!

Regards, Guy

Thanks guys. Appreciate the welcome and input. The 338 RUM certainly has some juice, and I'm going to try to take full advantage of the potential. Some of the bullet tests on this site are impressive.

Guy, we'll have to swap info and stories at some point. I do like a good adventure and look forward to this fall. Do you hunt the Cascades or other parts of the state for bear? I've seen bear sign in the South Cascades were I elk hunt, but have never intentionally targeted them.

I have hunted them in Okanogan and Chelan counties, and over on the east side of the state, north of Spokane.

Find some berry bushes, and set up your overwatch position...

Guy

Welcome aboard Hornet!

You are correct, this place is full of experienced folks who actually know what they are doing. Several years ago I finally decided to start hand loading. Many members here were itching to be of great help. Some had identical projects and had first hand info that was invaluable for me with an old cartridge that does not have much public info. I'm currently finishing a project that several here were instrumental in getting me correct advice, information and hooking me up with a few professionals that could get it back on tract.

chs

welcome hornet

charles, you have a couple of very sweet, although uncommon, calibers/rifles.

Welcome aboard. With a little TLC and oil you should have a pretty good press there. Sure will work with those long cases. Good bunch here with lots of knowledge and not like many forums full of people trying to one up or put down people.

Back