switching from H4831SC to H4831 for better case fill

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I am in the process of loading 130 bullets and H4831SC which I have been using a long time and it shoots decent groups. I was wondering if switching to H4831 to get better case fill ( longer granules )would increase some accuracy and a more uniform powder burn since the H4831SC does not fill the 6.5 x 284 case. Just a thought before I start making some 3 shot group loads to find a node. Thanks.

No opinion on the 6.5x284 and H4831, but I will say H4831 and the 25-06 and 30-06 have been good to me. No problems with case fill, I use a drop tube for the 30-06.

I'd be interested to know if there is any difference. I wouldn't suspect there would be a large change, but I guess you never know?

I have noticed where there is different load data for the SC powders so I was wondering if the burn rate was different due to the length of the grains of powder.
I've been too cheap to buy both and experiment with it but have considered it since The SC powders might give a more even case fill but that is speculation on my part and I tend to be old school when trying new powders letting others do the work for me.

Back when they came out with the H4831SC Hornady stated that there was no difference in burn rate and loading data but it flowed better and would fit in the case better where the standard one was a compressed load. Tried SC in the 270 Win. with 130s (Sierra GK, Nos. BT) 60 grs MAX compressed with old H4831 was not compressed but filled the case and I could tell no difference in accuracy and drops. Never had to change the scope settings. I did not have a chrno back then but seemed to shoot the same velocity as the old from the drops. My buddy did a lot of loading for a BUNCH of people and he also changed to the SC in 25-06, 270 Win, 7mm Mags, and he never had anyone complain about anything.

I went with the long cut version for my 7mm RM and Swift Scirocco's just to have a more full case in my hunting load. In a hunting rifle I tend to want near max case fill just due to almost always having the muzzle facing the ground as I walk or in a tree stand shooting downwards. I want my powder as close to the primer as possible.

SHM

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

interesting test , I've never tested this . I've always felt that a optimum case fill would result in better extreme spread , and help with temp sensitivity . I try to keep my powder charges in the 95% to 105% case fill .

Back