7mag Test Loads

TXbaldhunter

Handloader
May 12, 2007
Took my Remington 700 Long Range stainless steel 7mag out today to do a little three shot group test load and velocity checks.Was shooting only 100yds today.150gr bullets were Nosler Ballistic Tip seconds.The 160gr was Nosler AccuBond seconds.Powders were Accurate-4350 and Reloader-26.

The groups look great. Can't see which one was which but all looked good! The photos are small. No criticism! I don't know how to post photos!

ethmoid1999":3ilj93o4 said:
The groups look great. Can't see which one was which but all looked good! The photos are small. No criticism! I don't know how to post photos!
Try clicking on the photo to see if it enlarges it.

See if this works.

Attachments

• 7mag1.jpg
    7mag1.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,089
  • 7mag 2.jpg
    7mag 2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,089
  • 7mag 3.jpg
    7mag 3.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,089
  • 7mag 4.jpg
    7mag 4.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,089
Those groups are very enviable..I can't imagine much escaping that 160 AB load.
Well done, Sir.
(y)

My last 7mm Rem Mag really liked R26 with 160gr Sierra too. It favored R33 with the 175 SBT. I like both of these new powders. In my very first 7mm Rem Mag, IMR4350 and the 150 Partition was the my favorite on those small SE Texas whitetails.

NICE! I really like the idea of that 160 gr AccuBond for pretty much everything that should be hunted with a 7mm rifle.

Very accurate & good velocity too.

Looks like that rifle is going to shoot about anything. I had one like that once. Rem 700 Stainless 7 Rem mag. You could actually about fill a previously fired case sized just enough to slightly bump the shoulder with Accurate 3100 and stick any bullet from 139 to 160 gr and jump them at least 20 thousands and they would ragged hole at 100 yards. Got rid of that rifle because I could not carry enough flashlight batteries to deer hunt with it I would tell people. For some reason it did not matter what bullet I used if I did not hit the spine with a high shoulder shot the deer would run off out of the fields I was hunting in and go into the jungle/swamp area there in east NC where you would have a hard time trailing up a chalk line. Most of my deer shooting was in the late evening, we were doing crop damage control. Traded that rifle for a 25-06 just like it and BANG FLOP went the deer. Weird results.

I'll second that 1shot. I had the same problem with the 7mag, plus I wouldn't get a blood trail, I shot mainly Sierra 140gr pro hunters and the nosler 140 or 150 ballistic tips, I would literally have pieces of "internal" organs hanging in the balsums on the offside broadside hit, and on a foot of fresh powder snow after the first jump, nothing. I to switched to the 25-06 for my whitetail hunting for here in the U.P.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I had better success dropping deer past 250 yards where the bullet had slowed down some. I only spoke of my personal experience but my hunting buddy had the same experience also. Best bullet we as well as others in the area found for deer was the Hornady 154 Interlock or the SST. A friend in this east NC area had a sporting goods store and he sold 10 to 1 boxes of Hornady 154s over anything else for the 7 Rem. mag. Hard to understand how a deer could go that far when it was sloshing on the inside. Inside looked like you turned a blender loose in them.

72.8 RL26 3-31-17 65 degrees 500.jpg72.8 RL26 5-7-17 75 degrees 500.jpgMore DRT bang flops than any other caliber I own with the 7RM. Running 140 AB at 3300fps from 26" barrel sendero, .075 off the lands with RL26. None of the issues described above and accounted for 100's of deer size animals. 2nd target overlay of 1st target included.

150 NBT 7mag.Shoot them right here,no tracking needed.

Attachments

• IMG_0167.JPG
    IMG_0167.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 972
  • IMG_0166.JPG
    IMG_0166.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 972
  • IMG_0168.JPG
    IMG_0168.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 972
MAinAR":1d50v3hg said:
View attachment 1More DRT bang flops than any other caliber I own with the 7RM. Running 140 AB at 3300fps from 26" barrel sendero, .075 off the lands with RL26. None of the issues described above and accounted for 100's of deer size animals. 2nd target overlay of 1st target included.
Now that is a shooter!!!

Wow! Great shooting 7! I’m with Guy. A 160 AB at over 3000 is a wicked combo for just about anything.

SJB358":2852f5dn said:
Wow! Great shooting 7! I’m with Guy. A 160 AB at over 3000 is a wicked combo for just about anything.
Not too many things you cannot kill with a 160gr AccuBond.If large game may be encountered,it would most certainly be a top choice for sure.They create a great wound channel and penetrate very well.

TXbaldhunter":1o2dem7c said:
SJB358":1o2dem7c said:
Not too many things you cannot kill with a 160gr AccuBond.If large game may be encountered,it would most certainly be a top choice for sure.They create a great wound channel and penetrate very well.

Oh yeah! It’s a combo I recommend to anyone wanting a one rifle to kill everything.

I went down the 7mm Rem mag road some years ago. It was a good road.

I no longer own a 7mm Rem mag, but by golly, it is one heck of a cartridge! I had a couple of them, okay three of them, that I really wish I had back. Maybe four... Sheesh... At least four good, oops, five good 7mm Rem mag rifles over the years and I didn't keep ANY of them.

The only one that really didn't want to shoot well was a Model 70 Winchester. Sigh. So, I stole the 6x Leupold off it and sold it! Some Winchester nut bought it... :)

The Ruger Number One gave me some fits too. First it was a broken extractor. Then it was mediocre groups. Wouldn't beat 1.5 MOA no matter what I did. Beautiful rifle, long gone now. Kept the 2-7x Redfield off it too.

The other three were Remington 700's of one sort or another: the black synthetic stocked 700 ADL that I used to take the big bull elk, an absolutely gorgeous walnut stocked 700 ADL that I should have never parted with, and a 700 Sendero that I should have used for 1,000 yard match shooting. It was terrific!

I always thought the 7mm Rem Mag and the 30-06 (they are amazingly similar) were about the most I could handle with really good accuracy downrange.

Sigh... Long ago, before I had gray hair. :)

Guy

Back