Youth loads - 7mm-08 & 243

orchemo

Handloader
Dec 13, 2006
I loaded up some 120gr BT for my son's 7mm-08. Using the 60% load of H4835 was able to find a nice load for the rifle.

We did a youth sheep hunt this weekend sponsored by Safari Club International. The 120 BT smacked down his sheep with a heart/lung shot and broke the far shoulder exiting. Another youth also used the rifle as he could not get his 270Win "sighted in". He told his dad that he like to shoot the 7mm-08. The easy shooting 120gr reduced loads make shooting easier and comfortable.

Going to work on some 243 loads also. Was going to use some 80 gr BT at 2400 FPS but I see they are varmint bullets. Would these work for deer sized game? Or should I step up to 85 gr PT or 90 gr BT?

Thanks

I use the same 120 out of my daughters 7mm-08, great bullet. I’m using a 90 grain AccuBond out of my other daughters .243 at 2800fps. It’s amazingly accurate and deadly on game.

85gr Sierra Gameking Hollow Points or 95gr Nosler Partitions have excellent performance reputations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I'll be darned. Good stuff right there.

Honestly, does a 243 really need to be loaded down? It's just a little sweetheart to shoot anyway.

My son and I have generally relied on the 95 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip when we hunt with "his" 6mm Rem. I could have sworn that was my rifle, but apparently things change.

Guy

My sons shoots the 7mm-08 well and is comfortable with it. Shoot better than I did when I was 11.

Gave him a CZ 22LR bolt action earlier. Only gave him a single feed mag and iron sights for a some time. He hopefully learned to shoot not spray for squirrels.

I use that same 60% load in my daughters 7-08 and it shoots amazing. I think I am running them right around 2400 FPS as well. Great combo.

The 243 loaded full house was too much for my daughter and even my son when he was smaller. Didn't take much to get them warmed up with the 80's around 2400 though. Super easy shooting, probably about like a 223 and plenty capable of taking deer within 200 yards. Even being a Varmint BT, they still have a thick base and expand which I think is more important than raw toughness on deer sized animals.

Orchemo,
Helped a friend do this downloaded 243 with 28 grs of H4895 (approx 70% of max) last year for his grandson. Performed very well on both a deer and antelope.

At the recommendation of Sierra Tech used an 80 grain Blitz bullet. Velocity was 2550 fps. I started the bullet search for a single shot pistol bullet which Hornady and Sierra both used to make... couldn't find any. Then wondered about 85 gr Partition and after talking with Sierra went ahead and us d 80 gr Blitz! No looking back and BTW, shot 3/4-7/8" 100 yd groups!

Thanks for the replies loaded some 80 BT with 25.5 gr. They shoot like a 223. .

Will also get some 85 PT to have if we go looking for a black bear this fall

Back