60 grain Partition 22-250

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
Spent the afternoon trying some Partitions in the Remington 700 SPS.
After trying H380 and Varget I was happy to go under an inch with a freshly cleaned barrel and a dose of Varget. I worked up to the book max load and never had any pressure signs to cause concern. .
3972111aed10654fd4865807b6986c5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That ought to work!

Going for deer or antelope with the 22-250? Should be an excellent choice of bullet for that task. Any idea what velocity you're getting?

Guy

I have a friend up on the N. Slope that hunts everything from foxes to polar bears with a .22-250 and Partitions.

He's on his third one and it works far better than I'd ever believe it would.

I got the older style PT to shoot in a M700 VLS 26" 1:14" twist. I also recovered one from water jugs and it was impressive. I put one through a coyote end to end with complete penetration and a very dead song dog.
Great bullet and cartridge combo.

JD338

hodgeman":2v71nv56 said:
I have a friend up on the N. Slope that hunts everything from foxes to polar bears with a .22-250 and Partitions.

That's pretty incredible! I have alot of faith in the 22-250 and have taken alot of deer with one way back in the day, but I couldn't imagine taking a polar bear with one.. I'd love to sit around the fire and hear those stories.

I drew an antelope tag and was thinking about trying this out. Not sure at this point and interested in the pros and cons.
I've also got a newer 243, 7mm-08 and 6.5 Creedmoor I want to initiate also.

hodgeman":1di6tdrg said:

I've heard of this, though I've never witnessed it or known anyone who used a 22-250 for larger game. Clearly, the bullet in the boiler will work. How decisively it works may be a point to consider. I've heard of inuit using a 22-250 with polar bears and a dog. The dog leads the bear in a large circle and as it comes past the hunter, a fatal shot is delivered to the head.

@Alderman
Fun to read that someone else on the forum from the other side of the Pacific is trying out 60g PTs in .22-250 at the same time I am [emoji1360]
I’m shooting a Tikka T3x with 1:14” twist 22” barrel with suppressor.
Shooting very well, with my best group last weekend being 0.58” @ 100m.
Load was:
Hornady brass
FLRM primer
34.0gr Varget
2.050 Ogive
Avg MV 3340fps

Very interesting and a fun outcome, given my .223 with 1:8” twist will not shoot the same 60gr Partition well at all.

Have head and neck shot deer with smaller polymer tipped projectiles, and while kill shots, I was not happy with the slow death trauma, so am seeking a heavier weight projectile that will stabilise in a slow twist .22-250. So I think I’ve found it, and with tweaking the seating depth a bit, should be a tack driver too.

Back