Bitterroot

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
Scotty and all other knowledgeable bullet fellows

My son is running out of Bitterroot bullets and ask me, what I think compares. I am no where near as knowledgable as you fellows, but that in my humble opinion, Woodleigh and possibly Norma Oryx. ???????

Scotty, didn't Aleena or Jamila send you some Rhino and GSC bullets---how do they compare ? And I think you have used bullets from Alaska Bullet works and they are made to order--how do they compare --and then Nosler, Northfork, Swift---????

And I am sure others here besides Scotty have an opinion about this, all comments are appreciated

Thank you Dewey. It is hard to go wrong using a Northfork bullet.

I may be wrong about woodleigh after doing some research, especially on the smaller caliber, higher velocity rifles.

I am sure Scotty and hopefully a couple others will weight in

So far I have found nothing that is built the same or acts like a Bitterroot. The closest I’ve found that performs similar is the Swift Sciroccos. They will open up widely and maintain a very flat expanded front end.

Northforks are good Bullets but they typically look more like a mushroom rather than being flat and wide. Does it matter, probably not, but so far I haven’t seen anything that compares to the wound channels and killing the Sciroccos and BBCs have done on elk.

Oryxs seem decent but they are more of an expanded blob versus a heavily constructed Bullet with a lot of integrity. If they are pushed hard they will shed weight and frontal area.

GSCs shed petals just like a Barnes does and Rhinos were the same way. I’m sure they kill just fine but I’m spoiled and enjoy the terminal effects of the BBCs.

If I had to replace the BBCs with something else it would be the Swift Sciroccos. They will fold up a bit easier than a BBC but at 100 yards they look very similar.

That’s my 2c’s worth on it. After a coupe animals taken with the BBCs and seeing how well they kill with quick twists and velocity I love them.

Back