Took My Donor Rifle Out To See If It Would Shoot.

TXbaldhunter

Handloader
May 12, 2007
Just bought a 1982 Remington 700 BDL 30-06.I bought it because I was thinking I would take the Leupold scope it had on it and put it on my .22 magnum,rebarrel the action with a match grade barrel and probably just sell the stock.I took it out and shot it just to see if the scope was good and just see how it shot.Scope tracked perfectly,but it really shot like crap,about 2" groups.I like to tinker with rifles and see if I can get them to shoot.The stock was not bedded,but I had one that was,so I put it in my bedded stock and loaded up some 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip seconds.Well hell,dang thing shoots darn good!

Yup! You did it. :? Despite all the pleas and recommendations from rifle cranks that occupy the keyboards behind this forum, you shot the donor. :roll: You knew better! Now you have a shooter on your hands and you'll just have to keep it as is.

Congratulations. It appears that you did all the right things and just may have discovered a gem. You could do far worse than own a fine 30-06 that delivers the goods. (y)

Well that's ueless...everybody knows the 30-06 is "big enough" to kill any thing....!!! Never shoot the donor, never shoot the donor....Never shoot the donor..... :? :shock: (y) (y) (y) (y) Cool! No9w you can buy another donor and keep the '06. No way you can part w/ a tack driver like that. This is how you "aquire" more rifles....... CL

SWEET!

And you guys know how I feel about the 30-06... Might as well just sell all your other hunting rifles! :wink:

Nice shooting.

Guy

I believe I’d have to find another donor lol. That is great shooting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an ave. group this rifle was shooting with the original unbedded stock before I moved it to one of my bedded stocks.Just shows you how much better you might get your rifle to shoot just bedding the recoil lug.

Dramatic example of the way in which a "minor" adjustment can effect accuracy.

Back