New Sierra bullets

Oooh, that’s a gamechanger [emoji4]
In all seriousness, they should be a very accurate bullet.

FOTIS":vwx1o5sk said:
https://www.midwayusa.com/s?promotionid=1213744&utm_source=new-arrival&utm_medium=email&utm_content=main-image-link&utm_campaign=sierra-game-change
Code:

Just saw em! It’s about time! That 130 Sierra might be wicked in my AR 6.5 CM!

It seems to me that the current trend in hunting bullets is leaning towards controlled expansion, deep penetrating bullets. I'm kind of surprised that they aren't bonded. They appear to be Ballistic Tip like bullets which Nosler had perfected decades ago.

With that being said, I have shot 1,000s of Sierra bullets and have found them to be very accurate bullets. The most accurate bullet in my 6.5 Creed is the 142 SMK bullet. I had a partial box of 500 which has been on my bench for many years from a 6.5x284 project. While using them to break in the new barrel I (re)discovered just how accurate they are.

I just lost all confidence in a my old-school lead tipped deer bullets. I’m screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to 20 years ago? Am I missing something because those are definitely not changing my game...

Boy the price of plastic must have gone up. Nearly $43 for 100 old school, but good, bullets with a plastic tip. I have used Sierra bullets for years and killed a lot of game with them. The 6.5 120 Pro Hunter is one of my favorite deer bullets and I really like the flat base of the bullet for use in my 6.5 Grendel which give more powder capacity. You really don't need a boat tail until you get past 300 or so yards any way. Most of my deer hunting with this will be inside 300 yards. I hope they don't try to use this bullet as a replacement for the 120. I have not been able to find any of the 120 PH or 130 HPBT GK in stock for about a year. I did find a couple boxes of the 130s in a little gun shop that had been on the shelf for a while the owner said.

Thanks for the tip Fotis. I just ordered some for my new to me 270.

Went on the Nosler pro shop sight first to burn up a $50 rebate visa card, but it didn't go through for some reason. Saw this post and went to Midway. Free bullets are free bullets. Wanted to try some Sierras in the "new" gun anyway.

While not really a game changer, many Sierra fans have wanted this bullet for a long time. I've found Sierras and Noslers to be equally accurate in most of my guns and equally effective on deer. I usually end up trying both when I really want to know how accurate a gun can be. But I'm not hunting elk or moose with a magnum caliber either. I think Sierra will eventually come out with a bonded bullet in the next decade. Wouldn't want to rush into anything...

desertcj":jf1qvlxq said:
Welcome to 20 years ago? Am I missing something because those are definitely not changing my game...

Unfortunately, Sierra is still stuck in the past. In the 1990's we were introduced to the Nosler BT and 20 years later we have the Sierra BT. In 2038 we "might" see the Sierra Sierrabond. :mrgreen:

That said they are still in business which tells me they are selling a buttload of these "50's technology" bullets

I don't know what the percentage is now, but for decades, probably 90% of the NRA & CMP target shooters used Sierra bullets. There was a good reason for that - the bullets worked! They shot really well, and were easy to load. Guys could grab a Sierra manual, look up the "accuracy load" and merrily assemble a cartridge that would hold up well in competition anywhere in North America.

Nosler pretty much duplicated the famed MatchKing. And they did it well.

Hunting... That's a whole different critter - but honestly I never had any problem with a good old Sierra Game King. Simple bullet that just flat worked. Yes, sometimes guys pushed 'em too hard and slammed a lighter one into an elk shoulder at 3,000 fps then complained that the bullet failed. Sigh...

And I do prefer Noslers.

But Sierras have done a fine job for a long time. I suspect they'll continue doing a fine job for a long time.

Regards, Guy

IdahoCTD":1aiinrxb said:
But why a 130 6.5 and 165 .30? Those should be a minimum of 140 and 200 IMO.

Popularity.

I'd just about bet (not that I'm a betting man) that a lot more hunters use a 165 gr bullet than use a 200 gr bullet in their 30 cal hunting rifles.

Guy

Charlie-NY":gj209tzh said:
It seems to me that the current trend in hunting bullets is leaning towards controlled expansion, deep penetrating bullets.

I think that WAS the case, but not sure any longer.

People I know are getting tired of penetration, with tiny wound channels and deer & elk that run off 'cause they basically got a pencil poked through them.

Besides, Sierra isn't known for making really fast moves. They came up with a good, standard, "cup and core" bullet long ago and are really good at making them. Most of us shoot deer. No need for a controlled expansion bullet. Crickey, a 55 grain soft point from a 223 AR-15 will kill a deer just fine.

Guy

IdahoCTD":2o5uu07z said:
But why a 130 6.5 and 165 .30? Those should be a minimum of 140 and 200 IMO.
no bc listed on the 6.5 either

We might have to start bugging them for a 338 265 gr
if Nosler doesn't start producing more bullets.

JD338

lol no kidding or a nice high BC 375 bullet

It’s a good thing in my opinion. New Bullets are great for us and more options. I’ll give them a shot. Their 77 grain Tipped MatchKing is wicked in my 223.. it’s a good BC’ed killer and trust me, deer don’t like them either. Huge Nosler fan but I like new things as well.

Nice looking bullets from Sierra. It may be worth a try to see its results on game. I have used Gamekings for hunting and they performed great for me in the past. When it comes to hunting, I am truly a Nosler fan, all Ballistic Tips and Accubonds!!! :grin:

Back