One Day Development

Hornet

Beginner
Jul 6, 2009
Let's say you had one day, on one weekend, with one trip to the range to develop a load... how would you go about it?

I assume this might look like:
1. Loading up one or more ladder loads for each bullet/powder combination and then pulling the unused bullets afterwards.
2. Loading up your first choice combination ladder load and hoping it works.
3. Bringing equipment and prepped components for loading on site.

It sort of depends on what I wanted to do with the load.

With modern rifles and components...it's usually no problem to load up three or four loads with known good data and have a completely acceptable hunting load out of at least one or two.

More intense load development just generally takes more time...adjusting powder, seating depth, etc. A single range trip is just condensing that data collection down to the point that I think you'd be awfully likely to get fooled by randomness.

One thing I would for sure do is look in the Sierra Manual at their accuracy load and at least load that powder and charge up. I have been loading for over 40 years and have found that in most cases these suggested loads work with most any cup and core bullet of the weight no matter who makes it. The only thing I do different with these loads is usually seat my bullets between 10 and 20 thousands off the lands if they will work through the magazine if not I load to magazine length. This might not be the very most accurate load you could work up for the rifle but it will usually be well within the accuracy you will be OK with for most any hunting situation.

Hodgeman, good point. I suppose the intent does change the time required. When I posted the question I had hunting in mind. 400-800ish yards.

1Shot, good tip on Sierra. I'll have to look at their data. I currently have the bullet and powder selection narrowed down to two each. Sierra may change that.

To jump between threads- I did some load development today for a new bullet and powder combo- H4350 and the 130AB. I simply picked the "Nosler Most Accurate Load" for the powder and bullet and loaded it to book spec.... it's a sub 0.75MOA load with zero tinkering or development at all. If a guy had a few manuals, I'm certain he could find a similar load for a particular rifle in very few attempts given good components.

The odd rifle may need more work than that, but this sort of thing is becoming more routine than it was 20 years ago.

hodgeman":2jn7tkaq said:
To jump between threads- I did some load development today for a new bullet and powder combo- H4350 and the 130AB. I simply picked the "Nosler Most Accurate Load" for the powder and bullet and loaded it to book spec.... it's a sub 0.75MOA load with zero tinkering or development at all. If a guy had a few manuals, I'm certain he could find a similar load for a particular rifle in very few attempts given good components.

The odd rifle may need more work than that, but this sort of thing is becoming more routine than it was 20 years ago.

I did just that a few weeks ago..Nosler listed 67.5 of Magpro as the most accurate, and I had just enough Magpro to make about 5 rounds, and by golly it was a 3/4 MOA load..Although I strayed from their data by using the OAL that I know to be best in my rifle with the AB..It doesn't always work, but I think its a good place to start if I were in that situation.

I have never been able to develop a load in one day. It usually takes several sessions to the range. It doesn't matter if I use the "most accurate" load published by someone, or not.

I have no idea how Fotis does it.

Dr. Vette":3tsz51ac said:
I have never been able to develop a load in one day. It usually takes several sessions to the range. It doesn't matter if I use the "most accurate" load published by someone, or not.

I have no idea how Fotis does it.

I agree with Dr. Vette and I never done it in one day either. Normally it takes several sessions to the range, and careful weighing, measuring, brass prep, trimming, etc. I rather take my time doing load development without rushing to get the best shooting groups I can squeeze out of it. I usually go home with my chrono speed datas, check my target POI patterns and do a few research before I pick my selected nodes to work up charges for the next trip back to the range. Some folks have an access to the shooting range in their backyard which I would love to have to reduce time and trips to the range.

I cheat. My range is right out the door. :grin:
With that said, I follow the ten shot development route. Works very well for me.
Depending on case capacity, a couple or three gr off max, load ten. One every .2, .3 or .5 on big capacity cases (I start further off on those). MagnetoSpeed them, find the flat spot, load in the middle. Then I load three based on bullet type at a couple jumps. One of them will show me something.
Although I would think trying to find a consistent 400+ yard load in one range trip would be extremely difficult. 100-200 yard load, maybe. 400-800? Too many variables and errors multiply at distance. And as hodgeman said, randomness.
I would sure want it confirmed and checked multiple times on multiple days before I would ever consider hunting it.

At 400-800 yards you want to have a very small ES on the velocity. That is where I would start then adjust the OAL for accuracy. There is a video that the 6.5 guys did in 10 shot load development go have a look.

This been said my closest range is an hour away so I try to take as few trips as I can.
This is my process:
1. I load 10 rounds off quick load starting 10 away from the near maximum loads.
2. I then load at .2 grains from the lowest to highest.
3. I start shooting from the lowest in 1 above till I get to the max velocity I want.
4. Once I have the velocity I select the 10 rounds either side of that from 2 above and shoot those measuring the velocity.
5. I plot the velocities on a graph and find the flat spots.
6. Pull all the unused rounds.
7. Load 5 of the middle of the flat spot in 5 (or 3 of the middle and 0,1gn each side)
8. Hope like hell I got it all right as this was two trips to the range [emoji16]
(This process I put together after watching the video I mentioned above so watch that for a bit more clarity)

I am thinking of putting a small loading bench together that I can take to the range - last week I got an error on the chrony and lost that data point as I was shooting one round at each weight. As it turns out that was the one I was after so it cost me a third trip to the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I can sorta get away with 1 trip to the range, but I usually do my 10 shot load work in the back yard. With that, I load a round, fire it in the rifle with the Magneto speed attached. Once I get into the acceptable velocity range I wanna be, I will load just as Dewey mentioned (.1, .2, .5 increments). I find a velocity node or two and then take those to the range. Usually they come out pretty decent on paper if I stick with the seating depths that work for most bullets. I may require a 2nd trip to try a couple different seating depths, but usually I see a very promising load right out of the gate.

If I need to develop a good hunting load quickly:

Check some great references. Sierra & Nosler manuals and also what some of the better gun writers may have to say about a cartridge. Often Hodgdon has an article on a particular cartridge as well. Talk to others who use the same cartridge. Knowledge is good.

Bought this a few years ago, has some excellent info on various cartridges: https://riflesandrecipes.com/product/th ... -gun-gack/

Quality components. Prep the brass ahead of time.

Work towards a suggested load. Chronograph is very handy, as are targets at 100, 200 & 300 yards.

Be prepared to spend several hours at the range if necessary. Spotting scope, chronograph, note pad, cell phone/camera. Food & water for the shooter. Rifle cleaning gear. Accuracy aids like sandbags or maybe a shooting mat.

I don't think a lot of shooters understand how many thousands of rounds Sierra, Nosler, and others have loaded and fired, testing bullets and loads... Their recommendations for good accuracy or hunting loads have always worked well for me.

There are some very well known, well proven loads for most cartridges. I refer to a couple of books, manuals, articles on line and march in that direction.

I have loaded at the range, but it's not really my favorite thing to do. I'd rather assemble ammo at home, clearly label it, and take it to the range to do some shooting. Start lower than the max recommended loads for sure.

It's rare that I have to make more than one trip to the range to come up with a good hunting load. Then I get to load up a bunch, and practice with them. I like that! Spend most of my time at the range practicing my marksmanship, not on load development. I've proven that I can make a really good load, shoot really badly! :wink:

Regards, Guy

I usually like the Nosler & Barnes data for the most accurate combo. I can find something that works.

Nosler doesn't have any data for the 6.5x300 Weatherby, I wonder why not??? (Maybe 'cause the 26 Nosler??)

I appreciate the feedback. I'm certainly jealous of those of you who can cheat. The closest range is about an hour away and part of the reason I'm wanting to minimize the number of trips. Besides, it's almost fishing season, which transitions into hunting season... too many competing options!

I read 6.5 guys, 6mmbr, and some loading manuals. Starting with some known data is sound advice. So here's my plan.

1. Set my expectations. I'd rather go into this having fun instead of the pressure to have to have a longer range load. If it takes more time it takes more time and I may just scheduled more development trips after hunting season.

2. I want the option to load at the range. So I mounted the press to a block of wood that can then be secured somewhere.

3. Start with some known load data that has shown accuracy and run a ladder test.

4. If no velocity node develops, I'll probably call it quits until I can decide what I want to do. Perhaps reevaluate a different bullet/powder combination.

5. If a velocity node is present, then I'll probably load up a few in the middle of the node.

6. If necessary, adjust seating depth.

As some of you have mentioned, even if it develops on paper, it could be randomness. I'm noting that it's worth checking again.
81e5bdcd2e5329d8bb9ad14807caa0d0.jpg

Looks good. I wish you every success in your loading!

Please post the results.

Guy

Hornet":32tnt7aq said:
I appreciate the feedback. I'm certainly jealous of those of you who can cheat. The closest range is about an hour away and part of the reason I'm wanting to minimize the number of trips. Besides, it's almost fishing season, which transitions into hunting season... too many competing options!
Tough life fishing, hunting, comps etc etc.

That block looks great with the press on it. I have a few questions:
1. Have you tried it?
2. Do you have to “tie it down?”
3. What scale are you taking to the range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

I did give the set up a try. It worked... acceptably with a little help. The wood block is pretty light so didn't do much good by itself. During my test I ended up putting a 35# dumbbell on the back and putting a little weight on the dumbbell with my left hand while operating the press with the right hand. That made quick work of full length sizing about 50 pieces of brass. I imagine a couple ratchet straps around a table or some other secure surface would work really well. I have an old Redding beam scale. The idea was to bring a small level and some shims or find another level surface for the scale.

You could likely use some C-clamps or similar woodworking clamps to secure the block to the bench.

Sorry for my ignorance but when you are looking for flat spots after graphing what do you mean by that?

Corey

when I was thinking of trying to load at the range , I was thinking I'd use a mount similar to your block of wood . I was going to use the tow hitch on my truck . years ago I made one of those carrying racks that fits in the hitch , I was going to mount the wood to it ,and use the rack for a table . take along a low stool and just sit there and load .

I agree with the couple other guys above . you could get a decent 200 - 300 yard hunting load quickly . I really doubt a decent 800 yard load comes easy , mine don't .

Back