6.5 Grendel

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
I just found out my grandaughter got a new 6.5 Grendel semi auto.
Is anybody loading these that would offer any advise? Are small base dies necessary for sizing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am loading for 2 AR Grendel's. Go over to 6.5grendel.com and you can learn a bunch. You can find a specific two volume loading book for sale on this site. First off I can tell you that if her rifle has a barrel made by Bear Creek Arsenal it will be a crap shoot if it will shoot minute of deer at 100 yards. My first upper was BCA and I had to send it back to them for a barrel change because good groups averaged 5". Every shot was a flier. It also will take around 100 rounds down one of the "good shooting" barrels before you will get consistent groups which will then hover between 3/4" and 1 1/2" on average with your best hand loads, at least that is what I have found. If you go to the web site above you will see others problems with BCA. Now here are some tips. If you can find some get some Hornady BLACK BOX 123 ELD-M ammo to see how the rifle shoots. This is probably the most accurate factory ammo on average. The Hornady 123 SST ammo is not the most accurate ammo, usually between 1 and 2 inches on average in a good barrel.
No you do not need small base dies. I am using Lee Dies right now. Others swear by Redding bushing dies and others Hornady dies.
As for powders, IMR 8208, AR-Comp, CFE223, H335, AA2520, WW748 burn rate.
I have had best results so far with IMR 8208 with 120 -123 gr bullets and H335 and W748 with 100 BTs.
As for primers CCI 450 is realy the best because the cup is hard enough to prevent slam fire and they will handle pressures better.
Cases: I am using Hornady 6.5 Grendel but probably the best is Lapua but they cost at least twise what Hornady does.
Bullets: Depending on what you want to do. Varmints most anyting in the 85 to 100 gr will work with Hornady V-max being a good choice.
Deer/hog bullets: The Nosler 100 gr BT and Partitionm most any 120 gr hunting bullet, 123 Hornady SST and ELD-M, Nosler 129 Long range AccuBond, 129 Horandy Interlock or SST.
If you can find some get some 120 Sierra Pro Hunter bullets and IMR 8208 powder, CCI 450 primers and Hornady cases and start at 27 grs and work up slowly toward 28.5 grs as a MAX. This combo shoots great in both of my rifles and others have had great accuracy with this bullet and it is a great deer/hog bullet.
Keep in mind that most of these bullets need at least 1800 fps impact velocity to get any expansion. The exception being the Noler 129 LRAB which if my memory serves me correct is 1300 fps.
Magazines: You need a 6.5 Grendel specific magazines. Elander is top of the heap and most expensive but I have had no problems with ASC or AR-Stoner. All can be found when in stock at MidwayUSA.com .
My two rifles consist of a 20" stainless flutted 5R barrel BCA complete upper that has been what I call my "Problem Child" and to getting it to shoot accurately and the other is a upper I built from scratch with an Anderson upper and an 18" Oden Works SS barrel that is a tack driver. Both are on Anderson lowers with 3.5 lb POF triggers that I built from scratch. There is also all kinds of YouTube stuff on the 6.5 Grendel. Have fun.

Back