240 Bee and 90 gr SGC

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Range report. Sierra GameChanger in my 240 ultralight backcountry Weatherby. 2 different loads terrible grouping from a 1 to 10 Barrel even at 3500 feet per second. For reference those are three in circles stickers

Attachments

• 20180812_115440.jpg
    20180812_115440.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,073
Is 1-10" too slow of a twist?

I'm guessing with the 6 Creedmoor, the fast twist .243s will be the next thing

Guessing that means they want a 9 twist or more. Could you share bullet length, boattail length, etc Fotis?

On your test were they loaded close to the landsvor Daami length?

Thx

hodgeman":2xgdj82s said:
Is 1-10" too slow of a twist?

I'm guessing with the 6 Creedmoor, the fast twist .243s will be the next thing
Thinking you are right

Length of the 6mm bullet is 1. 161

That's too bad.. Seems like they aren't liking the 1-10 at all. Not too much to work with there.

It shoots the 90 AB decent though? Must be just enough shorter to work..

Not knowing temp and elevation I think your barrel twist was to slow 1325A684-DA5F-40CA-8644-A1A9967BFD3B.jpeg

RL338":3cyj6smm said:
Not knowing temp and elevation I think your barrel twist was to slow

This is exactly what I have been saying and I "tried" to have this conversation with Sierra who kept stating "we believe it will stabilize". Then after a while they started blaming the calculator and said in their tests it was fine down to 2200 ft/s (muzzle velocity) out of a 10 twist barrel. I'm at almost 4500 feet and they still won't reach their potential out of my 240 Wby. When I told Sierra I think they missed the mark on this one for creating a "hunting" bullet that won't work well with a lot of factory 6mm rifles, they ended the conversation.

Nothing an 8 twist won't take care of :mrgreen:

Just messing with you a little, but I hope rifle makers get on board and start twisting rifles appropriate!

I think that is why the 6 and 6.5 CM's are CRUSHING sales. They can shoot ANY bullet made in factory or handloads without worry. The guys that wanna shoot light for caliber bullets shoot just fine but the guys that wanna stretch stuff out have the ability as well. No danged 10 twisted 6 Creedmoors!

When/if I rebarrel the 240 it will get an 8 twist

I was thinking of this last night.... can you imagine the sales Weatherby is missing by not twisting 1-8 or even 1-9 with the 240 in the S2 Vanguard....!! Such a rifle would be the equivalent of a custom 6-06, 6-284, etc. and be able to shoot long, high BC bullets.... I see the potential to make alot of $$$ if they re-think their barrel twists. Otherwise, everyone around will be buying the Creedmoor.

This holds true for rifle makers of 243, 6mm, etc. !!

I was thinking of building a fast twist 240 off of a Howa/Vanguard but the lack of availability of long action heavy barrel stocks I decided on an 6mm Creed. I have a Howa short action and 6mm Kieger 7 twist heavy palma barrel on hand now. Weatherby should be offering 8 twist for sure.

RL338":128eggvt said:
I was thinking of building a fast twist 240 off of a Howa/Vanguard but the lack of availability of long action heavy barrel stocks I decided on an 6mm Creed. I have a Howa short action and 6mm Kieger 7 twist heavy palma barrel on hand now. Weatherby should be offering 8 twist for sure.

I would gotten one of the 240 Wby's yesterday were they twisted as such.. As it is, the 243 with a good 105 smokes the Weatherby with the lighter bullets pretty quick. Add the 105 to 108 to the Wby and you'll have something.

Well I have 2 boxes that should be here Wednesday. Hopefully Saturday I will be able to get to the range and post some results from my .243

I am selling mine and A maxes in the classifieds

Back