Primer Question

C.Smith

Handloader
Oct 11, 2006
So pulled a bonehead move and put my seating stem in upside down and seated four cases before realizing. It left an indentation on the primers. Should replace them or do you think they would still work?

Attachments

• IMG_2753.JPG
    IMG_2753.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 666
That's what I was leaning towards. I hate wasting primers like that. Pretty cheap of me. I must be reloader. LOL.

Corey

You won't regret replacing them. Too much uncertainty of ignition.

Is this a serious post or in jest? I'm kinda slow on picking up on things but I know I could replace faster than post the question and anyone who should be reloading knows if you have to ask if it's safe it probably isn't.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

You're lucky you still have the same number of fingers you started with! I personally would not attempt to fire these, even to just get rid of the primer. A drop of oil inside the case, let set for a few dozen days and decap.

The reason I say this is....my hunting buddy, for a couple of decades, had his 17 yr old nephew blow off 'several' of his fingers screwing around with powder & primers.

Just a question- has anyone decapped a live primer and had it go off? I have removed hundreds of them over the last 50 years and never had one go off. You are just pushing it out with the decapping pin not striking it.

69gto":3kw7f8kf said:
Just a question- has anyone decapped a live primer and had it go off? I have removed hundreds of them over the last 50 years and never had one go off. You are just pushing it out with the decapping pin not striking it.

While I do exercise a measure of caution (eye protection, etc.), I've never had a primer ignite when pushing it out; and I have certainly pushed out my share over the years.

DrMike":8x0ji11z said:
69gto":8x0ji11z said:

While I do exercise a measure of caution (eye protection, etc.), I've never had a primer ignite when pushing it out; and I have certainly pushed out my share over the years.

That's good to know. I'm kind of a chicken about some things. I never heard anybody say before you could pop a live primer out with a decapping pin with little worry, so I just assumed it wouldn't be something wise to do. I never had a large amount that needed removed, but when I did I chambered the otherwise empty cartride outside, fired the primer, then decapped them.

I have done quite a few, with not one going off. I even reseated a few just to see if they would fire and they did. The only unplanned ignition ever, was with a vacuum cleaner, and that was recently. I have been loading for lots of years.

I've never had one go off . I gently push them out , and put them in a primer box labeled "used " . I use these up for barrel fowling ammo . or I'll use them in virgin brass to get it fire formed . I'd never load good ammo with them . I've never had a dud .

I've read the soak them in WD40 more than a few times . I tried this one time just to see , and the primer fired , maybe I didn't soak it long enough . I do caution that WD40 will flame up . anyone who has soaked a rusty bolt with WD40 then had to heat it up with a torch will attest to it flaming up . so pushing out a primer with WD40 is probably a more dangerous situation than just pushing out the primer dry .

I've pushed a lot of live primers out over the years and never had one go off. I did take a Federal 215M apart one time to see exactly what the insides were all about. (Probably not to smart) I got it apart all the way down to the ignition compound which is located just inside the interior wall. I have to tell you that stuff is 'SENSITIVE' I just touched it and it ignited. Being that its located so close to the inside wall may have something to do with the primer not going off when you push a live one out.

If you worried about it put a small amount of water in the case and let it sit for a bit. Dump the water and push it out. I have pushed out tons of live primers without issues and without using water. Water is better than oil as it dries pretty quick and won't mess with powder.

Back