264 Win Mag Retumbo and 140 Accubonds

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I restocked this rifle with a McMillan Joel passed along to me and in handling it a little I was thinking I should try to make it huntable again. It had always shot RL25 well, but the load where it shot the best was at the top end and was a little "peaky" at warmer temps. Not a horrible deal and never had trouble with it, but I just felt like it was more pressure than I should be running. Plus, I am cheap and like to be as easy on my cases as possible..

Anyhow, I have a slew of Retumbo and looking at QL it looked like I could get 3200 pretty easily so I decided to try a little flat spot work up..

Looked like a pretty good node around the 69.3 mark, so I loaded up a handful of them and tried them out the other day.

Pretty happy seeing those two groups. I am 99.9% sure that if I shorten up the COAL a little I can pull that 3rd shot in pretty easily. If you haven't tried a work up like this, give it a shot. I usually knock out most loads pretty quickly and most of them seem to just shoot well, over and over.

I did try 68.2 in order to see if that perked and it wasn't horrible, but 69.3 seems to be where it want's to run and seems like a fairly wide node.

I ran a similar test trying to find a load for my 223. After 7 different powders I finally ran into one that gave me a 4 load flat spot. Loaded for the one in the middle and I have my load!

This just goes to show you how much different two rifles can be. In my 264 Win mag your starting load of 68 grs Retumbo with a 140 AB would have welded my bolt shut. My rifle has a tight "match" chamber the smith said. I am shooting 66.5 grs Retumbo with 130 gr AB because this is a 9" twist barrel and from the get go this bullet shot good. With this 130 gr. 67 grs Retumbo I had light ejector marks and stiff bolt lift so I dropped back to 66.5 grs and everything was happy. My rifle has a 27 3/4" Shilen barrel and I get 3350 fps with my 130s. I also think you probably can tighten up your groups with a little bullet seating tinkering and yes I have found the AB likes to jump a ways. I have only shot white tail deer with my set up but I LOVE THE AB.

1Shot":ot1c6ldt said:
This just goes to show you how much different two rifles can be. In my 264 Win mag your starting load of 68 grs Retumbo with a 140 AB would have welded my bolt shut. My rifle has a tight "match" chamber the smith said. I am shooting 66.5 grs Retumbo with 130 gr AB because this is a 9" twist barrel and from the get go this bullet shot good. With this 130 gr. 67 grs Retumbo I had light ejector marks and stiff bolt lift so I dropped back to 66.5 grs and everything was happy. My rifle has a 27 3/4" Shilen barrel and I get 3350 fps with my 130s. I also think you probably can tighten up your groups with a little bullet seating tinkering and yes I have found the AB likes to jump a ways. I have only shot white tail deer with my set up but I LOVE THE AB.

1 shot, I remember reading about the loads in your rifle seeming to be lighter than what my rifle would take pretty easily. When I shot the 130 AB's I think I was around 72 grains or so.

I know brass makes a BIG difference on this as well. I had some brass that was also Nosler that was of much different capacity. The same load in the 2nd lot shot fine with zero issues, the 1st lot on the other hand would hammer the bolt closed.. Took me a bit but I do cautiously check case capacity when changing brass now with all the guns.

I am using once fired Winchester 7 mm Rem mag cases re-formed to 264 Win mag by running through a 264 Win mag FL sizing die.

I’m using Nosler cases here. It is still amazing our guns are that much different.

I played with the 264 Win a little at 250 today. Pretty happy with the gun, needs a SS MQ 6X on top of it, but other than that, it is ready to hunt.

First two groups..

I kinda have a little bit of 2-1 going on but it isn't horrible and I am about out of tinkering time. I shot a 3rd group which looked a bit better.

Then the final one when I adjusted the scope.

I was very happy to see that!

Pretty handy rifle in the McM Edge now. Dropped an easy lb over the old wood stock on it and it's trim. Also installed a Basix trigger in it since the old MIM trigger just wouldn't get rid of the creep. Pretty nice trigger for a later model M70 that has that crappy MIM instead of steel.

This is another rifle that might go along as a spare to Wyoming.. 140's at 3200+ wouldn't stink but I would love to put a better scope on it. The old Minox just isn't cutting it compared to the 6X SS...

Took the 264 and a few others out to shoot today from the back of my truck. I shot the 264 at 100 just to see where it was hitting.

Attachments

• 97BEF6C4-BAAA-452E-ADD6-70968DCCAEDE.jpeg
    97BEF6C4-BAAA-452E-ADD6-70968DCCAEDE.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,085
Then I made a dope change and took it back to 400. Used the first dot on the 6x36 LR and was quite happy with this load.

I believe that rifle just earned a spot on the hunt.

Attachments

• DAC5CE69-42E2-43A3-AAB3-EC69EF502B29.jpeg
    DAC5CE69-42E2-43A3-AAB3-EC69EF502B29.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,083
Looks as if that rifle/load will earn its keep. Fine shooting, Scotty.

Thanks fellas. Pretty happy with it. May have to give it a nod for this year. It outshot my Mashburn a little yesterday.

Looks like you have it dialed in Scotty. Now you have to worry about which one you will hunt with and feel confident in that it will get the job done. 338win, 270win, 7mm MASH or the 264Win or did you retire the 338Win? :)>)

My goodness! That's fine shooting for sure. Not much more I'd do, aside from writing that load down and locking it in the safe deposit box! Makes me want to drag out my Uncles old M70 264WM and work more with it.

Back