P64 270 Win Featherweight 130 Tipped TBBC RL26

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I can't remember if I ever put this one up or not but I got this rifle from Ol Bob (BF375).

I put an older M8 Leupold 4X on it and man, I just love the little sucker..

Anyhow, I did a little work looking for a node with the 130's and one popped out at around the 61.5 mark around 3150's for speed..

I didn't do much for accuracy testing with it. Shot it one time for a group and kinda forgot about it as Summer was HOT down here and the heat takes the wind right outta me for shooting rifles..

The circled black area was the 3 I put on it along with a few others trying to work the zero in a little.

Well, I circled up this past weekend and loaded a handful to see if I could get the zero tuned up a little and see what it would do when it wasn't quite so hot out. I was shooting prone outta the back of my pick up truck over a bag..

The first group did this..

I had 4 rounds left, so I made a guess at the adjustments with the ol friction adjust M8 and shot the next 4...

I should really stick with 3 shots at a time.. :mrgreen:

ethmoid1999":198lkvor said:
Beautiful rifle and it looks like a good load. I sure love those pre 64 Model 70's.

Same here buddy! Can't think of anything made in the last 75 years that I like more..

Scotty,
That looks like more than a good start. Love those featherweights.

I've only tested the TBT's in my gun once and had no idea where to start. I've struggled loading monos and bonded bullets before, so I used the load info card that came with bullets. RL19 seated to 3.270" OAL, a full .26" off the lands. One group shot into the threes and one just over an inch at 100 yds. I need to get to the range again to verify, but I concluded in my gun that the TBT's like some jump, way more jump than I would have thought to even try.

BEAUTIFUL rifle Scotty. Oh man, what a gem. Hard not to admire a well kept pre-64. I'm not a guy that chases after 270's, but that's one I'd be happy to own.

That is an impressive set up and a very well kept pre 64. I hope it's a lucky one for you. I haven't yet tried any 130s with Reloder 26, hope I can get similar results.

I think I’m at .050” off the lands and it seems to be good. Might could go a touch deeper but I’m leaving it as is.

Now the rifle, I love it. There was a reason folks flocked to these suckers. They are handy and they shoot.

Scotty!
Nice rifle man! There’s not a whole lot in this world that can’t be done with a 270 pushing a good bullet at max velocity. I know the 338, 300, and 7 usually get the nod for elk in your stable, but I’ve never felt undergunned or handicapped heading afield with one of my favorite 270s, and that thing looks like it would be a joy to carry!
V/R,
Joe

EOD Diver":2m2f8y5h said:
Scotty!
Nice rifle man! There’s not a whole lot in this world that can’t be done with a 270 pushing a good bullet at max velocity. I know the 338, 300, and 7 usually get the nod for elk in your stable, but I’ve never felt undergunned or handicapped heading afield with one of my favorite 270s, and that thing looks like it would be a joy to carry!
V/R,
Joe

For sure Joe. I do like that rifle. Pretty danged handy. Who knows though, it could end up getting carried around a little this year in Wyoming.

Yeah, but it is a .270! Don't those bullet bounce off of elk?

Fine rifle, Scotty.

DrMike":2y4v7uye said:
Yeah, but it is a .270! Don't those bullet bounce off of elk?

Fine rifle, Scotty.

I don't know buddy? I guess we will find out one of these days.

Took the 270 out to 250 yards today to get the 4X refined a little. Kind of a pain with the old friction adjustments, but I will say this about them, when you move the darned things, they move, I am not sure of the graduations they move, but they at least moved in the direction they were supposed to go..

1st group at 250...

A tad high, no biggies, move it 4 lines down...

Well, now I have it bracketed, so I moved it 2 lines back up and shot the last one..

I was pretty happy with the old girl. I am sure I could tweak the seating depth a little and make it better, but truth be told the group in the center is about as good as I can hold prone out of the truck with a 4X scope..

This 270 is a strong contender to elk hunt this year. Those little Tipped TBBC's are some evil little devils and I think starting out at 3150'ish should make a dent on even the ol Armor Plated Wyoming elk!

An excellent cartridge and the TBBC (tipped, at that) will ensure that it would perform very well indeed.

Ran the 270 out to 250 yards and 400 today to check the drops.

250 yards

Attachments

• 6D38DF82-F151-4CC5-83A4-FA081D4C60EF.jpeg
    6D38DF82-F151-4CC5-83A4-FA081D4C60EF.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 880
Took it out to 400 and while it wasn’t as awesome as it could be I’m plenty happy with the group considering it’s an M8 4X on the rifle.

Was about 12-13” below the POA so I think I could probably sneak one into a deer or elk.

Attachments

• B4728A50-4569-4391-94DF-F5F1098DE346.jpeg
    B4728A50-4569-4391-94DF-F5F1098DE346.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 878
Scotty,
She looks pretty dang good at 250! I love that 338 and your 7 Mashburn as well, but I’m crossing my fingers that the 270 finds its way to WY with you!
V/R,
Joe

Back