Mashburn - Trending Positive

joelkdouglas

Handloader
Jun 5, 2011
I got my 7mm Mashburn Super back from Kevin Weaver. I think it's almost all sorted now. Kevin reamed out the chamber again with a deeper throat, and test loads today velocity is up, pressure down with previously used loads.

Why velocity is going up with the same powder I don't know...but I don't want to second guess. I assume it has something to do with pressure and bullet release.

Changes: I abandoned the Nosler brass. Kevin thought it was too soft and running into the bolt head. And as noted above the new chamber.

This brass wasn't previously fire formed. I'm trying to get some velocity data and fire form at the same time.

Here's the velocity numbers:
eoCxrNa.jpg

These velocities are really outstanding for the pressure. I was previously getting heavy bolt lift and deep ejector marks at 3050 fps with 160s. To get 3180 with 165s really surprised me with the first shot. Again, I don't know why velocity went up with the same charges, but they did.

No donuts, I form/trim/Fl sized the brass and then neck turned it before firing:
kO75c0X.jpg

Downside, and I think the only thing left to sort out, is brass still gets into the ejector hole. I only saw this when the loads got a little more stiff (76+ gr Retumbo), but I'd be open to ideas how to get this to stop.
ilhGCmo.jpg

0YAImLf.jpg

Your brass in the ejector could be just soft brass. I have experienced something similar with new Winchester brass but not as bad as you have.
There is a lot of talk over on Longrange about ADG brass and that might be an option. I haven't bought any yet because I want to use up what I have but it will be the brass I purchase when I need more.

Looks great Joel! Now that’s where you should be! That’s much more Mashburn like!

Back