Opinions on Speer Hot-Cor bullets?

I've used them off and on. They work fairly well in low MV cartridges like the .308WIN.

Federal "Blue Box" used to come loaded with them and for economy type rounds, they usually shoot very well.If a rifle won't shoot the Blue Box decent, it's likely going to be a picky one.

I have been shooting them for years and shot 12 of them today. I would be careful about using them for hunting and for shooting competition. There are many others that are much better for both. I was doing some preseason shooting today and use them to check for my scope settings, and use the two dollar bullets before I head for camp, My 300 WM really likes them and will put them 3 of them on the target at an inch or slightly more at 300 yards.

I'm a Speer Hot-Cor fan and have been using them for years on deer with excellent results. My personal favorite is the 120gr .257 Hot-Cor which sadly Speer no longer makes. I have about 600pcs on hand that I purchased when I was told they were going to stop producing this bullet so i'm good for a very long time. I've also had great results on deer with the Speer 120gr Hot-Cor in my daughters .260 but Speer also stopped producing this bullet as well so my daughter now shoots the Sierra 120gr Pro Hunter with equal results. I've never had not one problem what so ever with the Hot-Cors and their on game performance. I use them with complete confidence and rest assured they'll do what their designed to do as long as you do your part. Mike

The 250gr .358 are very popular for .35 Whelen. I think they’re a fine game bullet for non-super magnum velocities.

That 358 250gr hotcore is a great bullet! The hot core bullets really shine in the 2000-2800fps range. Anything over 3k fps and they are a tad soft. When it comes to medium velocity rounds they are really hard to beat.

This is a 250gr hotcor that I recovered after it went completely thru a 12-14” drift log at 100 yards. Muzzle velocity of 2400fps out of a Remington 750 semi auto.
11d0f75ce582c8a46549649364c80001.jpg

610e2fe173e1e612516721f6d16fbdc9.jpg

231gr recovered weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as the velocity is not extreme (under 3k fps) they do well. Same deal as Sierra pro hunters

I have used them in my 358 Win (220 gr FN) since I bought the rifle, with great success on black bear, deer, elk and moose. My rifle (BLR) shoots them better than the 225 gr NP (1" vs 1.2").
Hard to find these days, but I still have a couple of boxes.

I have been able to acquire a few .358 180 gr Hot Cor's to try in the 35 Rem.

I like the 165 gr. Speer hot cores in my .308. I've taken deer from 35 feet to 250 yards with that bullet from a Ruger M77 RSI. Hardest damn rifle to find a load for. Took a hair over two years to find anything that would at least meet my minimum standard. Long boring story. All I will add is I have found nothing else that will work in that rifle.
The other Speer bullet I like is the 200 gr. hot core in my .300 Win. Mag. Pushing almost 2900 FPE it has taken elk as far out as 530 yards, that shot laser measured.
I played some with the 250 gr. hot core in my .35 Whelens but found a load with the 225 gr. TSX that I like a lot better. Hammers elk like right now.
Paul B.

As stated earlier, if you're not trying to push past the 3K they are actually a pretty good bullet, as long as they shoot well in your rifle. The 200gr .338 HotCor is one of my GoTo's for my 338 Fed.

As has been stated, under 3k they are a stellar cup and core bullet in my opinion. They seem to have a knack for acting like a soft bullet as far as quick expansion, but holding together better than some providing very good penetration. A good balance in a lot of standard calibers using preferred grain weights.

As a side note, impact velocities under 2900 at woods ranges seem to provide a good balance of optimum killing power without a bunch of blood shot meat with a lot of different cup and core bullets. Sometimes we try to fix what isn't broken. The hot cor's have a good reputation used the way they were intended, and in my opinion deservedly so.

They are my standard for hunting deer sized game in cartridges under 3k fps. Generally fine accuracy, good BCs for a flat base, and outstanding and consistent terminal effect.

I shoot the 100 grain one out of my 25-06 at 3100 but most my shots would be at 200 or more, is that too fast?

I’m guessing it is really pushing it. How has it performed on game.

mccraggen":3ish0cky said:
I shoot the 100 grain one out of my 25-06 at 3100 but most my shots would be at 200 or more, is that too fast?

Nope. That bullet doesn't have a very high BC and sheds velocity fast. Not to throw a wrench into the mix and confuse things but if you're consistently over 200 and beyond you might look at the 120 BTSP. That's a soft bullet that will do damage at lower speeds but got plenty of sectional density. A better long range bullet in my opinion.

Mccraggen, when I enter that bullet into a ballistics calculator using the BC that speer lists for that bullet of .334, it's already down to 2812 at 100 yds and 2543 at 200. Be a good woods range bullet on lighter bodied deer I would think. I'd like the 120 Hot cor better but I see Speer is no longer listing them, what the heck??

The 120 BTSP has a BC of .480. That bullet is very soft and would likely make a mess at woods ranges but comes into it's wheel house at longer ranges.

I bought 500 .30 180gr hotcore on a Midway special. I plan on feeding my 300 win mag with them. Should be under 3000fps impact velocity at any range I shoot an animal.

I don't think you will have a problem with that bullet at 100+ yards. Most of the whitetails I've killed since 95 have been with a 100gr bullet out of the 25-06. The cup and core bullets seem to work much better at 100+ yards compared to inside 100yds and your not running your loads very fast so depending on what kind of max distance your shooting your only problem would be the wind.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

About 38 years ago I got my first long range capable scoped rifle to deer hunt with when I moved to north east NC so I could shoot across those long peanut and soy bean fields. Up until that time I had only used rifles that had open sights in the mountains of TN where I lived. It was a Mark X Viscount Mauser 98 style 30-06. I picked up some 150 gr Speer BT hot core bullets for the simple reason that these were the only 150 gr bullets the little hardware/feed store that also sold guns and some loading supplies had. I found that 59 grs IMR 4350 was extremely accurate in this rifle and the ballistic coefficient of this bullet was very sleek. I did not have a chrno back then but loading manual said velocity should be between 2900 and 3000 fps. This load shot really flat for a 30-06 and man did it kill deer. One shot was all you needed and they were DRT. Yes like others have said keep them as well as any cup and core bullets under 3000 fps impact velocity and they will do a good job.

Back