Quick Load Question.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
I see different people asking for someone to run a quick load for them and I have a question.

Can quick load give a powder charge weight, pressure, and velocity result from any input of necessary and relevant information no matter how oddball the request? Or can it only give results based on calibers and components already loaded into the software program?

In short, yes. :grin:
Ok, so much for short.
Yes, it can but the data may be garbage. There are a slew of variables involved as I'm sure you're aware. Without calibrating it to actual results it's just a SWAG. An educated SWAG, but still a guess.
Burn rates change etc.
You can also "create" a powder if you have an idea on burn rate. It's rough but would give an idea.
If you add the QuickDesign program to QuickLoad then you can concoct about any cartridge or bullet you want and input it into QL and see what may happen. Works pretty well with wildcats.

Dwh7271":1wtv5zuu said:
Ok, so much for short.
Yes, it can but the data may be garbage. There are a slew of variables involved as I'm sure you're aware. Without calibrating it to actual results it's just a SWAG. An educated SWAG, but still a guess.
Burn rates change etc.
You can also "create" a powder if you have an idea on burn rate. It's rough but would give an idea.
If you add the QuickDesign program to QuickLoad then you can concoct about any cartridge or bullet you want and input it into QL and see what may happen. Works pretty well with wildcats.

Okay thanks. I got a little more testing to do on something I'm trying with a 348 then I'd like to see how the quickload lines up with what I'm seeing.

Dwh7271":12tuhrgt said:
Ok, so much for short.
Burn rates change etc.

I had read that QL was more accurate after calibrating with actual chronograph data compared to known pressure tested data. You just ran me a QL chart for my wildcat 25 Creedmoor and RL17. (Thanks again BTW) Would it have been more accurate if calibrated with my RL15 chronograph data even though there is no pressure tested data to compare it to?

I'm debating upon getting QL for myself and this was a question I had about it. That and would I really use it enough to be worth the cost.

Bruce

since I've bought quickload , August 2009 , I have not bought any other info . I update quickload for about $20 . I would not want to be without it. I can usually get going with quickload and get some chrony info to start fine tuning it . if I get velocity readings or pressure signs I don't like , I know to quit and go home . it's very adjustable , almost to the place sometimes I wonder about it .the initial cost is high , but updates are reasonable . all I can say is give it a try , I think you'll be happy with it .

It's always better calibrated to the actual powder and chrono readings Bruce.
Calibrating to another powder doesn't work as the actual burn rate between different powders varies. Burn between different lots of the same powder can vary quite a bit also. Probably why I end up buying jugs instead of 1 lbs. :grin:
Calibrating for overbore (weighting) and temperatures really lets you fine tune it also.

Case capacity, barrel length and rifling are a few others a user can change to provide accurate estimates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dwh7271":1ejkvoqa said:
It's always better calibrated to the actual powder and chrono readings
Calibrating for overbore (weighting) and temperatures really lets you fine tune it also.

What calibers would you consider overbore? Would the 7mm Magnum and 300 Magnum be called overbore as well? The weighting factor for typical bottleneck is .5 and the overbore is .33 Which would you use? Some would try .4 for that as well.

I believe the 6.5 x 284 is overbore, so I use the .33 overbore weighting factor for it instead of typical bottleneck which is .5?

It's kind of mind boggling when it comes to weighing factors because it gives out different results between .5 , .4 and .33

I just did some research and came across some information on overbore weighing factors. From Wyo7200's link above, it shows a chart and there is a formula to define what weighing factor to use.
Use 500 as the magic number

500 divide by case volume to bore area ratio equals the weighing factor, for example:

For a 6.5 x 284 the case volume to bore area is 1205.7

So 500 divide 1205.7 equals : .41469686

Round it off to roughly .42 as your weighing factor to input into the Quickload data

Dwh7271":1m4ixenc said:
It's always better calibrated to the actual powder and chrono readings Bruce.
Calibrating to another powder doesn't work as the actual burn rate between different powders varies. Burn between different lots of the same powder can vary quite a bit also. Probably why I end up buying jugs instead of 1 lbs. :grin:

So if working with a wildcat cartridge would it be safe to say you would set up the parameters of the cartridge and firearm and run QL to get a starting point and use that for starting data. After finding a starting point load and chronograph some of those loads then calibrate with that data and run it again for more accurate data.

Bruce

TackDriver284":2awkcsji said:
I just did some research and came across some information on overbore weighing factors. From Wyo7200's link above, it shows a chart and there is a formula to define what weighing factor to use.
Use 500 as the magic number

500 divide by case volume to bore area ratio equals the weighing factor, for example:

For a 6.5 x 284 the case volume to bore area is 1205.7

So 500 divide 1205.7 equals : .41469686

Round it off to roughly .42 as your weighing factor to input into the Quickload data

yes , I'd start out with my weighting set at .42

this is not perfect , but it sure seems to get things to align much better for me .

Back