Lee Pacesetter dies.

Stillhunter

Beginner
Dec 8, 2014
Ordered from midway on sale. Not I'm pressed. No way to lock the die nut. It has a O ring. When you remove the die, everything you set comes undone. Not a positive locking system. Also, these .358 Winchester dies will not size up .308 cases. The expander is designed to slip, not break on an obstical. It can't do that job without slipping.
Now to be fair, I didn't research, just assumed they would be similar to RCBS, that I am accustomed.
Also, they say maximum trim length is 2.015. Is that the max you should trim down too, or max length? Many once fired cases are a bit below that and vary. Is trim length critical with the factory crimp die?
I plan on calling Lee tomorrow.
Thanks all.

Benefit of the Lee factory crimp is case length is not critical to crimp. Still important for chamber fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to disagree with you, but I like them. Once you get a feel for how tight you turn the die in they are very accurate, and unlike the set screw on the lock nut dies, they don't vibrate or work loose. That lock nut holds its position. On the bullet seating die for example I'm typically within .001-.002 of my set OAL on the first loaded round no matter how many times I've taken that die in and out of the press.

I also get the most consistent OAL's, round to loaded round, with the Lee bullet seating die compared to RCBS dies. Why that is for sure I can't answer, but I've done enough of both there is no doubt in my mind.

Their necks sizing dies and crimp dies are pure genius in my opinion. Simple, repeatable, and easy to get consistent results.

The maximum trim length they list is the maximum case length. Trim .005-.010 shorter than that like normal.

Sounds like you've done it before, but .308 to .358 is a big one step jump in my opinion. Easier, and likely easier on the case to do it in steps, like to .323 or .338 first, then to .358.

Shade Tree. I see what you are saying, I think I will need a different sizing die for necking up. The Pacesetter is designed to slip if an obstacle is encountered.
Thanks for the input.

Stillhunter, that's the one knock I have on the Lee's, is on their full length sizing dies. I don't like the keeper nut and decapping stem and expander ball set up. Not so much that it's designed to slip instead of break if heavy resistance is encountered, but because they're more of a pain to change anything out.

With RCBS or like dies, you wouldn't have to have a different die, just a different stem and expander ball, or for that matter just the different expander ball as they interchange on the threads of the stem. The Lee stem and expander ball is 1 piece if I remember correctly from looking at them. Doesn't mean it's inferior when used as intended, just not as convenient for what you're trying to do, and certainly not as quick and simple to change out.

You could ask Lee if a .323 or .338 stem and expander will interchange into your 358 die. Be cheaper than buying another die and all your doing is stretching the neck over the ball at the bottom of the die, then going back up to the 358 stem after that. Just a thought.

The only die for necking up I have used with satisfaction is the Hornady. It has an elliptical neck sizer in their FLR die which makes it easier to neck up a step.

I have many lee dies and they work great for me, especially their neck collet dies.

They make lock rings for their dies, but I believe it's incorporated into one of their quick change bushing inserts, so they will probably only work with a Lee press. I have several Lee sets and really don't have anything negative to say about them. But I'm not shooting 1K yards either.

I have a factory crimp die for my .357 Sig and I can tell you it works great. Completely solved the problem of bullet slippage.

Back