44 Mag w/H110

A

Anonymous

Getting set up to load some 44 MAG... wanting to load 240gr bullets at something like 1100fps or so and 300gr bullets to about the same.

Lots of references like H110 for 44 mag loads...is that a reasonable choice given that's one of the powders on the 44 mag recipe list that I can find locally?

Yes H110 or Winchester 296 which is the same powder with different name is a good one. 2400 is also another good one. It burns a bit dirty but accuracy is really good. It all depends on what you will be doing with your 44 mag as to the bullet to use. Back when I was doing some deer hunting with the 44 mag I found that for the average 80 to 200 lb deer 180 gr Hps like the Sierra and Hornady XTP killed DRT better than the heaver 240+ gr bullets. Had more runners on the heavy bullets but they died just same in the long run just had to trail them up. Also had good results with Keith style 250 SWC running a little over 1000 fps. If I was going to be using this as a defense against bears or for hunting black bears yes the 300s would be my choice. Good luck.

1Shot":21isj2f3 said:
Y If I was going to be using this as a defense against bears or for hunting black bears yes the 300s would be my choice. Good luck.

Yeah- 240s for practice and 300s for bear defense. The revolver is a 329 so I want to keep it somewhat reasonable on the practice loads.

I never loaded heavier than 240 grains and always used 2400. I don't recall the load off hand. I always shot hard cast.

I have used H110 for my .41 Magnum pushing 210 XTP's. It does move the mail fast. It should work well for the .44 Magnum.

I used a powder puff load for shooting hunter silhouette on the 25 and 50 yard targets. A home cast from wheel weights from a Lyman mold Keith type SWC 255 gr with 6 grs. Unique and I used just a tuft of poly fiber fill between the bullet and powder to keep the powder back at the primer. This was a long time ago and the procedure has been frowned on greatly since then but it worked for me with no problem. I was shooting a Ruger Red Hawk 7 1/2" barrel. Did not have a chrno back then but it was probably only doing around 800 fps. In the big Red Hawk it was like shooting a 38 Special wad cutter target load. It sure was accurate and would knock over the targets with no problem. I had to up the velocity and I used 240 gr jacketed bullets with 2400 for 75 and 100 yards.

I use Nosler 200gr HP and took a B&C bear that was near 500 lbs. Also have taken deer and smaller game with the 200gr HP. I never use 300gr bullets and almost always use 200gr HP or some 250gr cast bullets for lighter loads. I also use H-110 powder(28gr) and got better accuracy and MUCH cleaner than 2400.

Lil Gun is a great blend of excellent speed and it is clean compared to 2400 and H110. I have run mostly 240-320 grains through my Super Blackhawks and honestly, I have been using about 10 grains of Unique recently and really enjoy it alot. Fun to shoot, useful 1000+'ish speeds and it penetrates and is very accurate. I used to shoot alot of the heavy loads and they just aren't as much fun as being able to really practice like I can with the Unique loads.

Good luck with what you choose, lately I have been shooting a ton of Montana Bullet Works 250 WFN's and they shoot like crazy and I don't imagine you'd keep many of them in animals.

It has always been my understanding that there is something inherently dangerous about using H110 or W296 for light loads in a 44mag.
A quick look at Hodgdon's data shows a starting load with either powder and a 240gr bullet achieves 1,400 ft/sec.

I would look at other powders for creating an 1,100 ft/sec load.

Charlie-NY":3pe5bbir said:
It has always been my understanding that there is something inherently dangerous about using H110 or W296 for light loads in a 44mag.
A quick look at Hodgdon's data shows a starting load with either powder and a 240gr bullet achieves 1,400 ft/sec.

I would look at other powders for creating an 1,100 ft/sec load.

I just got my shell holder and got to loading.

I noticed that Hodgdon gives a range of 23-24gr. but Hornady gives a range of 20.7- 24.8gr.? I did find some folks discussing light charges of H110.

I loaded the initial ones to 20.9 using a volumetric powder throw...so I'm sure I've got some variability in there.

1Shot":1vy81v7q said:
Yes H110 or Winchester 296 which is the same powder with different name is a good one. 2400 is also another good one. It burns a bit dirty but accuracy is really good. It all depends on what you will be doing with your 44 mag as to the bullet to use. Back when I was doing some deer hunting with the 44 mag I found that for the average 80 to 200 lb deer 180 gr Hps like the Sierra and Hornady XTP killed DRT better than the heaver 240+ gr bullets. Had more runners on the heavy bullets but they died just same in the long run just had to trail them up. Also had good results with Keith style 250 SWC running a little over 1000 fps. If I was going to be using this as a defense against bears or for hunting black bears yes the 300s would be my choice. Good luck.
I tend to agree. you seem to need the velocity to achieve expansion. On the other hand, I settled on a hard cast 210 w/ gas check at 1,300 fps behind AA#9. the kieth style bullet just works great!

Back