30-06 Dilemma before Elk Season

Rol_P

Handloader
Nov 23, 2013
Background: I have three 30-06's that each shoot less than 1" at 100 yards if I do my part with the following loads: Nosler cases, (can be new or 1X) Federal 210 primer, 56.6 grains of IMR 4451 with a 180 grain Nosler Partition setting on top, comparator OAL 2.695 - 2.696".

Two different lots of Federal Factory, 30-06 180 Partitions average around 2.630" compapartor OAL.

Just for kicks and giggles this afternoon I dug out my Hornady Lock and Load OAL Gauge to see what my maximum case length is on the three rifles. Now I did measure without cleaning the barrels as recommended by Hornady, however I believe that may cause a minimal variation.

Ruger Number 1, Max Comparator OAL 2.725", reloads 2.695" jump 0.030" sounds reasonable.
Montana ASR, Comparator OAL 2.726", reloads 2.695" jump 0.031" also sounds reasonable.
Remington 700 CDL Comparator OAL 2.894" reloads 2.695" jump 0.199" sounds excessive.

My handloads are on average 0.065" longer than Federal Factory loads. Has anyone had good accuracy with loads where the jump to the lands is similar to 0.199"? I was considering taking the Remington (it is considerably lighter than the Montana) as my primary rifle and the Ruger as a back up, but with this data I am skeptical on future accuracy with the Remington.

Any thoughts and experience with similar circumstances will be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Rol

The proof is in the shooting. If it shoots with 0.199" of jump...it shoots. My most accurate rifle load jumps in excess of 0.100".

I've found that a lot of the newer bullet designs shoot just fine with quite a lot of jump to the lands, and from your results, I'd suspect a lot of older ones do too.

If it shoots like they say and they are all about the same take it. I wouldn't worry about the jump.

David

At less than 1 MOA with your loads, I would not worry or overthink the other numbers.
You are definitely accurate enough for elk at readonable hunting distances!
Go forth with confidence, have a great hunt and enjoy the "fruits" of your labours!

You're confusing science and semi-scientific theory with shooting a rifle and shooting an elk with said rifle.

You start out by saying all 3 will shoot 1" or better with a good hunting bullet at a useful velocity. But one shouldn't shoot well even though it does but you doubt the empirical evidence because the theory says it's wrong. ...just a friendly ribbing here... but Are you an engineer?

You need to take the Montana. It's the most expensive rifle so it must be the best. The other 2 will miss the side of the mountain, to say nothing of the elk standing on it. :p

As for the original question, I had a M41B Swedish sniper rifle with a jump that is literally off the scale (you can't run out a 140BTHP far enough to contact the rifling and still have any bullet left in the case) that shoots sub MOA to 300m. Most, if not all Swedish M96 rifles and the 41 snipers built on them have a similar jump due to the 156gr RN bullet they were originally designed for, and they have a reputation for superb accuracy that is well earned.

Take one this year, then a different one next year, and the year after..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rol, I know your rifles and they will all shoot well. You have already shot animals with the Remington and Montana. If the weight of the Montana is a concern, take the Ruger and the Remington with you. I suspect you really, really want to use the Ruger No.1 but like having a magazine that comes with the Remington. I know you only need one shot. But to easy your concerns, between now and when you go hunting, practice reloading the Ruger. Perhaps you can use an Uncle Mike's butt stock shell holder or a shell holder that goes on your wrist. When you wake in the morning to go hunting follow your inner yearnings and put the Ruger over your shoulder with the confidence that you can reload quickly if you really have to (which you won't).

Dan

I'm late to this party, but it does appear you've had some excellent advice. Enjoy your tenderloin with any of the rifles you choose to carry.

NYDAN":12pm9a72 said:
Rol, I know your rifles and they will all shoot well. You have already shot animals with the Remington and Montana. If the weight of the Montana is a concern, take the Ruger and the Remington with you. I suspect you really, really want to use the Ruger No.1 but like having a magazine that comes with the Remington. I know you only need one shot. But to easy your concerns, between now and when you go hunting, practice reloading the Ruger. Perhaps you can use an Uncle Mike's butt stock shell holder or a shell holder that goes on your wrist. When you wake in the morning to go hunting follow your inner yearnings and put the Ruger over your shoulder with the confidence that you can reload quickly if you really have to (which you won't).

Dan
Rol and Dan,

First off, it was a pleasure to meet both of you. Sue and I had a wonderful time!
After seeing the groups you showed me, I agree with Dan. Hunt with the Ruger No. 1. I doubt you will need a second shot!

JD338

I hunted most of my young life with a single shot .22 and a single shot shotgun. From small game, both running & flying, to deer/mean hogs. You learn real fast. I can go with you and play the part of my dad...give you a handful of shells and rim-cut you when you miss! ha Have fun Pard, enjoy your time!

I think you have three winners there! Pick the one you love to carry. That’ll be the one in your hands and not on your shoulder when it counts.

Thanks for the encouragement Fellas. The Ruger Number 1 will be my primary rifle this year with the Remington as a back up. The Ruger Number 1 is at local gunsmith shop to have the 4 pound trigger worked on before I journey forth to Montana in a few days. I have also ordered the wrist and forend cartridge holders that each hold two cartridges. That will put cartridges in readily available locations should a follow up shot be required. They were ordered through Optics Planet.

30-06
55.0 of IMR 4350
180 Part
Fed 210 M
FC Brass 3.30"
With a 150-gr. spitzer soft-point, 52 grs. of IMR-4064 or W-W 748 in commercial cases approximates the factory 2800 f.p;.s. velocity. With a 165-gr. boattail, 56 grs. of 4350 is a dead ringer for Federal’s Premium load. With the 180-gr. Nosler Partition, 55 grs. at 3.30″ overall cartridge length, in commercial brass, approximates the 180-gr. Federal Premium load. With either load reduce charges a grain if using GI cases. For larger game such as moose, elk, or bear, the “long range” loads above work well with premium big game bullet.

Back