22-250 20" 1 in 12" twist

2ndtimer

Handloader
Sep 26, 2004
My son and his buddy recently purchased Howa rifles in 22-250. Interestingly enough, they have short 20" barrels with a 1 in 12" twist rate. They think they have the ultimate truck gun for coyotes. I picked up some 60 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and wonder if anyone has tried them in a short barreled 22-250 with the 1 in 12" twist rate and if they are sufficient to stabilize this rather long bullet. The short barrel does rob some of the velocity from the 22-250, so I may have to drop down in bullet weight. My son's shoots the 50 gr Ballistic Tips well, but he is enamored of a heavier bullet for longer range effectiveness. Anyone?

60gr should stabilize in a 1:12... that's probably near the upper limit. The 69gr and up bullets are most likely not going to work that well at that rate.

I have a 223 bolt gun. 1:12 twist. It shoots 62 grain federal fusion into 1/2 group at 100 yards with a leupold mark AR 3-9 scope. It doesn't shoot 55 or 50 ballistic tips as well. Just my wxperience

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. I was concerned that the short 20" barrel might not generate enough velocity to stabilize the long 60 gr Ballistic Tip with only a 1 in 12" twist. Guess I will find out tomorrow for sure, as I loaded up 10 rounds with 38.0 gr of H-380 and another 10 rounds with the same powder charge with a 62 gr Hornady SP. The Hornady bullet is shorter than the Ballistic Tip, and I am pretty sure it will be stabilized out of the Howa, not as confident about the Nosler.

I will be interested in the outcome with the 60 grain NBT's. I have a custom savage striker with a 1 in 12 16" barrel in 22BR and it shoots the 55 grain NBT's into about 1/2 MOA or just over from 100 to 500 yards but I have never tried the 60 grain NBT.

Bruce

Well, I tested 6 each of the rounds with H-380 and the 60 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip and the Hornady 62 gr SPBT. Good news is they were stable at 100 yards and grouped okay. 3 shot groups averaged under 2" for the Nosler with the Hornady doing under 1.5". Considering it was a first attempt with a single powder charge and standard overall length, I believe the bullets will work. Velocity was measured around 3300 fps for the Nosler and 3250 for the Hornady out of the 20" barrel. I believe with some tweaking, we can get down around MOA and velocity over 3300. Should work fine for coyotes, and maybe antelope in Montana if we get drawn next year.

Back