257 Weatherby

boomer68

Handloader
Oct 23, 2006
Thinking of picking up a Vanguard S2 in this chambering and looking for bullet and powder suggestions. Deer will be the main quarry and maybe elk. I do have some 115 BT and thought of 110 AB and 100 TTSX.

The 100 TTSX and Etip are wicked run at Weatherby speeds.
I’m trying to remember the load but it was a good bit of RL22 (I think around 70 gr or so) should run those mid 3300s to low 3400s.
Haven’t had a deer walk away from one of those yet. :)
The Weatherby is the only one I run monos in, but that’s just me.
I’m a fan in the 257 of lighter monos(100s) run fast.

My son also has an 257 W. Vanguard S2 and the only powder I use is RL-22. Tried others and came back to RL-22. I’m not worried about temp. sensitivity because this is hunting rifle and loads were developed in fall for hunting.

Little brother uses RL25 and 120 Partitions for deer mostly. It is a quick combo and piles up deer real well!

I use IMR 7828SSC to great effect in the 257 Weatherby. That and the 100 grain TTSX are awesome.

Did you ever have the indication that the petals tore off?
I once shot a fox front on with a 270 win and 110 gr TTSX and did not find the exit. Ok - I did not search much, but definitely no big exit, so I guess the petals stayed inside.
No wonder it transfered lots of energy...
And they were far below your speed.
NP
Dwh7271":3r2txe8b said:
The 100 TTSX and Etip are wicked run at Weatherby speeds.
I’m trying to remember the load but it was a good bit of RL22 (I think around 70 gr or so) should run those mid 3300s to low 3400s.
Haven’t had a deer walk away from one of those yet. :)
The Weatherby is the only one I run monos in, but that’s just me.
I’m a fan in the 257 of lighter monos(100s) run fast.

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Yessir, that was a sore point with me and the monos.
I did shoot a few into jugs that tore off petals.
While I’m sure penetration was probably enhanced, I actually wanted a fairly intact bullet to create more havoc as it passed through. Penetration isn’t usually too big deal on deer anyhow as long as there’s enough to reach the vitals.
I did have one exit with monos that was disappointing. Shot a deer at fairly close range and the exit was just slightly over caliber. Dead deer all the same I guess but that one evidently lost all or most of the petals.

My buddy ran a 257 W back before the bonded bullets came around and the only mono was Barns X. He never could get the X to shoot well. He settled on 115 Partitions and H870. I know this was during the dark ages but what I am getting to is that before he settled on the 115 Partitions he tried a number of cup and core bullets, Sierra, Hornady, Speer and non of them were suitable for deer unless they were over 200 yards away. These bullets just blew apart at close range. I know they have improved the Barns but don't ever look the Nosler AccuBond it has worked perfectly in my 264 win mag 130 gr at 3350 fps even as close as 25 yards.

I use 110 Accubonds and H4831. They are going about 3450fps. Nothing walks too far if you do your job. I also have a 115 Partition load with H-1000 I have had great success on deer and elk.

boomer68":2zsbas82 said:
Thinking of picking up a Vanguard S2 in this chambering and looking for bullet and powder suggestions. Deer will be the main quarry and maybe elk. I do have some 115 BT and thought of 110 AB and 100 TTSX.

Grab some RL25 and your 115 BT's and live happily ever after. Bullet is much tougher than most think. Run mine at 3400fps and they hold up surprisingly well at distances under 200 yds. The 115 BT is absolutely deadly and puts stuff down right now.

Here's one recovered from a Texas Whitetail shot through the shoulder at 160 yds. Bullet was found under the skin on the offside. DRT

wbyfan1":3v838rfu said:
boomer68":3v838rfu said:

Grab some RL25 and your 115 BT's and live happily ever after. Bullet is much tougher than most think. Run mine at 3400fps and they hold up surprisingly well at distances under 200 yds. The 115 BT is absolutely deadly and puts stuff down right now.

Here's one recovered from a Texas Whitetail shot through the shoulder at 160 yds. Bullet was found under the skin on the offside. DRT

Very impressive. I will give that combo a try. I did use the 115 BT a few years ago in a 25/06 and it dropped a WT very quickly.

Rifle arrived, and I loaded up some 115BT with RL25 and 7828. Hope to get out to the range tomorrow and will post results.

Back