Hornady 300 PRC

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
Hey Scotty
Here's the 30 Newton to go along with your 35.
From what I have read this soon to be new offering is the 30 Newton rebadged for all general purposes. Designed off the 375 Ruger case to fit in a standard length long action and still use the a magnum bolt face without opening it up to accommodate the head diameter. Faster then a 300wm but not quite as fast as the 300NM.
Lots of info on the Snipers Hide and Long Range Hunting forums.

so what we have here is a 30 Nosler copy cat. Rebated rim vs rimless and a .532 body vs .550 and a 30* shoulder vs a 35* shoulder. Obviously the 30N will have a bit more capacity but the 300 PRC is specifically designed for the long bullets with a max COAL of 3.700 vs 3.34 for the 30N. thoughts or is this cartridge the answer to a question no one asked.

Yep.
That COAL also pretty much relegates it to a long action which kind of defeats the “short and fat” purpose imo.

its a long action to start not a short fat, this one is just a 375 Ruger necked to .30 cal.

It’s a danged 30 Newton with subtle changes.

From a few buddies in NC it’s a heater with the long 220’s but those fellas are using some serious rifles too. Still don’t see it really doing much the 300 Win Does with equal length magazines. Cool concept though.

SJB358":1v2yemc2 said:

From a few buddies in NC it’s a heater with the long 220’s but those fellas are using some serious rifles too. Still don’t see it really doing much the 300 Win Does with equal length magazines. Cool concept though.
Yeah that's what I said when I saw it. A rebadged 30 Newton. Some guys have been building 30-375R/AIs which are basically the same cartridge with a 40 degree shoulder and are excited about getting factory brass they can shoot in their AI chambers to simply fire forum.

truck driver":2a2lp9zh said:
SJB358":2a2lp9zh said:

Yeah that's what I said when I saw it. A rebadged 30 Newton. Some guys have been building 30-375R/AIs which are basically the same cartridge with a 40 degree shoulder and are excited about getting factory brass they can shoot in their AI chambers to simply fire forum.

One of our members on here has a 338/375 Ruger. Basically a 340 Weatherby for the most part. Great cartridge.

Here's what I don't understand....

Hornady rates it at 2860 with the 212 ELDX. Not bad...but virtually all other 300s will get the same speed out of that bullet and a lot of them will easily beat it.

So...what's the advantage over a .300WSM or WM? Or a 30NOS, WBY or RUM?

I'm all for new stuff...but the world wasn't clamoring for another fast .30.

hodgeman":25mhvf75 said:

Hornady rates it at 2860 with the 212 ELDX. Not bad...but virtually all other 300s will get the same speed out of that bullet and a lot of them will easily beat it.

Agree. My antique 30-338 cartridge does that and is certainly nothing special.

From what I have read what hasn't been a lot was that Hornady wants to cash in on the Gov long range project for a new Sniper caliber. It seems the 300 Norma has a problem with extreme angles and the 300PRC doesn't have it. Something about powder ignition and pressure spikes which I have no idea why or what would cause it so I'm no authority on it.

hodgeman":124cdaye said:

I am pretty sure the 300 PRC is a straight DOD endeavor and if it takes off with the civilian market all the better, but from what I get from the fellas using it, they really like it, but it is a niche sorta cartridge for sure and really mimics the 300 Wby for the most part. I'd bet a buck the AMU has given it a through and through on their range for a good reason.

Right now SOCOM is really digging in deep to answer some requests from the field. I think they have been appeased for the time being with the longer loaded 300 Win with the 220 SMK. Haven't heard the bad press on the 300 Norma either, but that is a big ol boy and might be too darned big for what they are wanting. Pretty interesting times right now, 338 Norma in Medium Machine Guns, 6.5 CM taking over for the regular sniper rifles, and I am betting something is in the works for the carbine cartridge as well.

It is a great idea though, since bullets are getting shorter and the Newton Case, reborn by Hornady is a pretty danged good design. We all benefit from the research in one way or the other.

The Saami specs posted list the OAL at up to 3.7". That won't fit in a long action? Won't it take a magnum length action?

Seems kinda silly if so.

Back