100gr vs 120gr in 25.06

Guybo

Handloader
Aug 4, 2005
I see from different forums and articles that lots of people who shoot a 25.06 for deer use a 100gr bullet. I've always used 120gr bullets myself and the lightest I've used was 110gr. Is there an advantage to using the 100gr over the heavier weights other than velocity? I was just wondering am I missing out on something? I appreciate any imput and feedback. Thank. Mike

Have you been successful with the 120's ?

If so, stay there. Don't chase rainbows.

If not, then a 100gr bullet had better be a top of the shelf construct.

Probably no real difference. I know the 120 Partition is a bit tougher than typical 120’s and it my little brothers 257 Weatherby it knocks deer pretty good. They won’t usually die on the spot but they don’t go far either. We’ve thought about dropping back to 100’s just to get a little more zap but it’s hard to change what has been working.

You've received sound advice from some fine gentlemen. I tend to agree that if the 120s are shooting well for you, there is little reason to change.

I have used 100 BT's exclusively in my Sauer 202 and Tikka T-3 25-06's with great effect. So far, the deer I've shot have dropped where they stood or only took a few steps. I started with 100's because a friend of mine who turned me on to the caliber used that weight with the same results so I stuck with them.

My oldest stepson has a Marlin XL-7 and uses 110 Accubonds with the same kinds of results. When I gave him the rifle, I worked up a load and he has had no reason to want to change.

My youngest stepson has an identical rifle I gave him and I started him with 100's and he has had no issues or reasons to change.

I personally believe the caliber just simply WORKS on deer/antelope sized critters. I'm not so sure the bullet weight has so much to do with it as shot placement. A majority of the folks who post on here report good to great results regardless of the brand/design/weight of the bullet used.

Just my .02.

Ron

Started out with 100 grainers with my first 25-06. After getting tired of having 4" exit holes and ruining meat, I switched to 120's. After more than 3000 rounds down the barrel I couldn't make my 'old' loads work. Switched to the 110's and a different powder and went right back to dropping deer in their tracks.
I did take my first two elk with a 25-06 and a 120 gr Partition. Both dropped where they stood.

Thanks everyone for your imput i do appreciate it. I have no problems what so ever with the 120's they have worked well for me over the years. I was just curious about the 100's because it appeared so many people were using them over the 120's. Like they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it and leave well enough alone, so I think i'll just leave things as they are. Again, Thanks. Mike

Yup, I do like the 115's, particularly the Nosler Ballistic Tips, but I have also used the 100 gr Barnes TSX.

The lighter bullet had a greater muzzle velocity, but there was little difference in wind drift or trajectory to 300 - 400 yards as I recall. I was unhappy with the Barnes (this was before they made a wider hollow point and tipped the bullet), so went with 115's, both Bergers and Noslers. No complaints with them at all.

I really haven't shot a lot of different bullets through my 25-06, was happy with the 115's, so I bought a mess of 'em and haven't seen any reason to change.

Regards, Guy

"I personally believe the caliber just simply WORKS on deer/antelope sized critters. I'm not so sure the bullet weight has so much to do with it as shot placement. A majority of the folks who post on here report good to great results regardless of the brand/design/weight of the bullet used"

rjm158 hit the nail on the head.

I have killed deer with about all the cup and core style 100 to 120 gr bullets and 99% of the time the deer just drop in their tracks. I am also from the school of "if it ain't broke don't try to fix it." I have used 117 Sierra Pro Hunters for years and probably have a suply of them that will last me two life times.

If shot most of my michigan whitetails with a 100gr bullet out of my 25-06, most being inside 100yds. I started with the sierra pro hunter, inside 100yards the bullet comes unglued, on broad side hits behind the shoulder it would pretty much detonate about the time it entered the chest cavity, past 100yds it was a stellar killer with past thrus on broad side hits and DRT. I switch to the 100gr Partition in 96 and never looked back..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I've used the Sierra Prohunter #1620 100gn on red deer hinds and fox out to around 300yds for many years.
Very few deer shot inside 100yds, but the performance of the bullet has been fine, although at longer ranges it definitely doesn't provide the quickest kill on the larger deer.
So I switched to the 110gn AB and that change has most certainly solved the issue with longer range shots.
Not that I take many above 300yds, but when I have to, I have more confidence in the deer going down quickly.
I definitely don't like runners getting into the trees where I shoot in Scotland. It makes much harder work of the job of recovery .. .. I should be so lucky this stag season ... seen plenty but haven’t been able to take even one; and the season closes today Sunday 21/10.18

So, red deer hinds opens now. Must do better!

I used 100gr BT on pronghorns. Had a couple that did not work well. Switched to 100gr PAR and all was good. I have used 80 and 100gr Barnes TTSX and both work. I favor the 80gr TTSX since more speed means better terminal performance with the Barnes bullets. It was a bang-flop on a sheep I shot at 265 yards. I really like the 100gr Swift A-Frame or Sirocco in the 25-06/257R or my 257W. I use 120gr A-Frames and 100gr TTSX in the 257W in Africa and a lot of animals dropped with one shot. Both loads shot to the same point of aim.

Back