bullets and fps data

55fever

Beginner
May 12, 2018
ok, I admit I am a newbie for reloading and each time I look at something I learn. Now it seems the bullets I have been using is rated for 1200 fps max. I probably have been using them in a higher range fps than this.
what is the danger of using a higher range of fps ?

the 158 gr 357/38 bullet is rated to 1200 fps and I use them for the 357 mag loads as well as the 38 spl loads I shoot

thank you for the help

but that is all - if i am shooting at paper it would affect the accuracy but not a kill or harm

so I need to find the correct bullet for the load and then reload accordingly - either for target or self defense ?

You shooting some Berry’s or Raniers in pistols? The reason I ask is I’ve used them and seen the speed ratings on them.
I call them shoot in the dirt bullets. Great for targets, practice and drills. Reason I call them shoot in the dirt bullets is my home range is backed by a thick dirt mound and that’s where they wind up.
They work well for their intended purpose.
The Berry’s are copper coated (not jacketed) as are the Raniers. What happens if you run them too fast you may see part of the coating fly off. I’ve had that happen a few times, most notably when I’ve loaded the 124s in my 357 Sig running a full out load. They still work fine, just can be a little disconcerting watching something flicker off along your aim point.
Hope that helps.
By the way, good bullets but wouldn’t be my choice for a self-defense load.

Back