Barnes load data

bob_dobalina

Handloader
Oct 6, 2009
Barnes gives a max of 69.6 H4350 for their 165 TTSX in the 300 WSM. All other sources top out at around 65 grains (including speer), that's quite a difference, can that be right? Same for RL17 in this bullet - they give 68.6 as a max, speer's max is 65.5. Is it the bullet is that much more compact? Their velocities are higher too.

I have noticed that kind of variance in the .300WSM load data among manufacturers. Barnes have less bearing surface than similar bullets due to the grooves in the shank...but still, that seems like a big jump in charge weight.

Hodgdon data tops out at 62.0 H4350 for the similar GMX. I'd approach that 69.6gr load with caution. It may indeed be safe...but it also might be needlessly hard on the rifle. In my .300, I ran out of useful accuracy well before I hit max loads with 165gr bullets.

Thanks hodgeman I saw hogdon's max for the gmx too - 7.6 grains less! I really want to try some e-tips, but in the meantime I have a stock of TTSXs and H4350. Has anyone played with this combo that could give me head start?

All the components must be taken into consideration when these recipes are generated. The lot-to-lot variation of powders contributes to observed differences. The primer used will have differing brisance. The case volume varies from different manufacturers and even from lot-to-lot. Bearing surface of bullets varies. Any of these differences and all of these differences can contribute to different results. This is the reason that hand loaders are encouraged to drop back 5% when changing any component and varifying that there are no pressure concerns. It avoids nasty surprises.

Back