175gr 7mm bullet ID

caribouhunter

Beginner
Mar 31, 2009
Hi

i bought a bunch of 7mm bullets
most are identified but i have this bag of 175gr bullets
marked as “ 175gr unknown”

is it possible to identify them by this pic only?

i guess not, but worth a try... :wink:

Attachments

• 42DF9301-DE24-4F89-B983-686334ED57BA.jpeg
    42DF9301-DE24-4F89-B983-686334ED57BA.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 535
OK, I'll go out on a limb with just my best guess, I'll say Remington. I'll list my reasoning.
1. Winchester's had more exposed lead on the nose. I base this on loaded Winchester 7x57 ammo I have on hand.
2. Federal has slightly less exposed lead based on the nose on the 7x57 ammo I have on hand.
Double cannelure tells me this was a bullet made by one of the ammo companies for their ammo.
Frankly, I hesitate to break down the Winchester ammo to check if it has a double cannelure and that weight bullet hasn't been loaded in years. DAMMIT! It has some small collector's status these days.
Anyway, I'll go with it being a Remington factory bullet. Be interesting to find out for sure.
Paul B.

Don't know who made this bullet but if you come up with a Spanish Mauser in 7x57 they will shoot lights out most likely. Those rifles have a throat a mile long because they were designed to shoot 175 gr bullets. Mine shoot really well with the Hornady 175.

My 1st impression was Remington also. I shot Remington ammo out of my 1st 7mm RM (40 yrs ago) and that looks very familiar.

I also say Remington. I have some 140gr. 264 bullets that have the double cannelure that are Remington.

Looks a lot like some unmarked 7Mag Dad had that I assumed was Speer because that's all he shot. don't know about the double cannulere though. If I get a chance I'll check. Not really up on this kind of thing. I'd go with the Remington consensus. CL

Back