What a surprise with my 7MM-08

diverdown

Handloader
Apr 29, 2015
Getting myself ready for my Maine Deer Hunt and having switched powders for my 7MM-08 it was time to get to the range. My rifle is an older model 700 Titanium with a Leupold 2.5X8 Scope. Anyone who knows this rifle knows its got what is called a pencil sized barrel. With Scope, mounts and ammo weight is just about 6.5 Lbs. My normal load is a 140 grain Sierra Prohunter with H4895 powder. Accuracy has always been quite good with one inch groups at 100 yards. I decided to switch over to IMR 4350 as velocity according to stats is a bit better. Accuracy according to numerous sources might not be as good. I loaded up with the Prohunter bullet, Winchester large Rifle primer and 45.7 grains of IMR4350. According to the Sierra Manual that's their hunting load. What a pleasant surprise. Bullet impact was a bit lower and left of the bull by about an inch. After a small adjustment the next three rounds which could be covered by a nickel went into the bullseye. Very pleased with the results. Now I just have to get the deer to cooperate.

Where are you hunting? I'm hunting about 20 miles east of Waterville, got some decent young deer on camera, maybe two mature bucks, ones got bad headgear and the other is a shooter for sure.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have always found that the suggested accuracy and hunting loads from the Sierra manuals are pretty much spot on.

I'm hunting in the Doverfoxcroft area. Not an over abundance of deer but "big" deer. Hopefully there will be some snow soon. I enjoy tracking and the white stuff would help a bit.

I've had good luck with both of those powders in my 7mm-08. H 4895 is my go-to at the moment, with the 140 AccuBond/ballistic tip, but I've got an excellent load with 160 accubonds that uses IMR 4350, too. I'm over in the Adirondacks. I also am anxious for some tracking snow!

Sounds great. I too like the 140 SPH but use it over Varget. Very accurate. Good luck this fall.

The Pro Hunter is a good deer bullet. My daughter has been using the Sierra 120gr Pro Hunter in her .260 for years with excellent results with both accuracy and performance on deer. I don't think you'll have a problem what so ever with it's performance on deer. Mike

diverdown":3pa3odgu said:
I'm hunting in the Doverfoxcroft area. Not an over abundance of deer but "big" deer. Hopefully there will be some snow soon. I enjoy tracking and the white stuff would help a bit.
I'm using the big brother, 7RM with a 180 Berger. My wife's uncle uses the 7mm-08 and loads 120s, I'll see what he uses. This wind needs to knock it off, I hunt fields 75% off the time. Best of luck on Saturday, shoot straight and stay warm.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

We have 2" of wet snow here today! Still snowing hard. I am leaning alot more towards 139/140 gr bullets for the
7/08. I bet it would be impossible to beat a box of Superformance with the SST for Whitetails. Maine has
Saskatchewan sized bucks, but they dont give up their hides easily as Maine now has the LOWEST hunter success ratio of any state in the union!!!!
But if your a tracker here are the conditions here right now.20181024_140955.jpg

Will a 7mm08 kill one of those big northern bucks? :) Sorry, had to tease! I'm jealous is all...

35 Whelen":18qxn916 said:
Maine has Saskatchewan sized bucks, but they dont give up their hides easily as Maine now has the LOWEST hunter success ratio of any state in the union!!!!
But if your a tracker here are the conditions here right now.

Wow, as a boy from Saskatchewan, I can tell you our bucks would have NO PROBLEM scaling that wall of snow....

But I'd hate to have to drag one UP that wall!

A lot of the new powders are all the rage, but the old IMRs will still get it done. IMR 4350 is the most accurate I have found in 6.5x55, .280Rem and 30-06 180 grain. It just gets it done, but likes to run on the warm side of the curve.

diverdown":7osjtsw6 said:
Getting myself ready for my Maine Deer Hunt and having switched powders for my 7MM-08 it was time to get to the range. My rifle is an older model 700 Titanium with a Leupold 2.5X8 Scope. Anyone who knows this rifle knows its got what is called a pencil sized barrel. With Scope, mounts and ammo weight is just about 6.5 Lbs. My normal load is a 140 grain Sierra Prohunter with H4895 powder. Accuracy has always been quite good with one inch groups at 100 yards. I decided to switch over to IMR 4350 as velocity according to stats is a bit better. Accuracy according to numerous sources might not be as good. I loaded up with the Prohunter bullet, Winchester large Rifle primer and 45.7 grains of IMR4350. According to the Sierra Manual that's their hunting load. What a pleasant surprise. Bullet impact was a bit lower and left of the bull by about an inch. After a small adjustment the next three rounds which could be covered by a nickel went into the bullseye. Very pleased with the results. Now I just have to get the deer to cooperate.
MY 08 load is IMR4350 48 grains and that bullet. mines a REM788 rebarreled with pencil contour also. wonderful to carry and points great !!! good luck.

1Shot":2ag7lb97 said:
I have always found that the suggested accuracy and hunting loads from the Sierra manuals are pretty much spot on.

I agree! (y)

Have often used those as a shortcut to a good load.

Guy

Back