300 WSM Dies

bob_dobalina

Handloader
Oct 6, 2009
I have RCBS Full Length Resizing and Bullet seating dies for my 300 WSM. I have the same for my 25-06, but also picked up a Redding body die and the Lee Collet Neck Die, and have been happy with that setup. I still seat the bullet with the RCBS die.

I was thinking about getting the Redding body die + Lee Neck die for the 300 WSM, but thought I would ask if there was a better setup that doesn't break the bank? Any opinions? I especially like the idea of working the brass less for the 300 WSM.

Also, the Lee Neck Collet die only seems to come with their "Dead Length Bullet Seating Die" - how does this compare to the RCBS seating die?

jimbires":3n7a74eu said:
I like a Lee collet die used along with a redding body die .

What do you use for a seating die? Do you ever find you still need to do a full length resize - I thought I read you will eventually have to do this.

I don't have a 300 WSM but I do like Redding dies and use the full length sizing die and I use their seating die with the seating stem replaced with their micro seater stem.
You can go to their web site to see these and purchase them at Midway. I just buy the two die set and the stem as an extra. I haven't used the Lee collet die but have heard good things about it.
I like to use the full length sizing die to bump the shoulder back so I know my ammo will work 100% when hunting.
By annealing your brass after each firing you will give it a longer life usage and keeps it from getting work hardened.

bob_dobalina":3oaqd5kj said:
jimbires":3oaqd5kj said:
I like a Lee collet die used along with a redding body die .

What do you use for a seating die? Do you ever find you still need to do a full length resize - I thought I read you will eventually have to do this.

I mostly use redding micrometer seating dies . I really like them and they are very easy to get bullet seating exactly where you want it . I have 3 different 7mm-08's and I'm loading three different bullets . with the micro seating die I just turn it to the measurement I have written down and that's where the bullet is seated , very convenient to use . I do have a bunch of the standard die sets , and these work well if you're loading one bullet for one rifle . just set it and forget it .

the redding body dies are a full length sizing die , except they don't size the neck . I set my body die up the same as a full length die . these are set to size brass with about a .002 - .003 " shoulder bump . after I body size my brass I then run it through the lee collet die . the collet die only sizes the neck , it does not touch the body .

Back