Scotty made me do it.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Scottie's insistence had an effect I guess. In the end I caved, just couldn't hold off until spring to work on a load for the model 1920 that I bought in 250 savage. I gotta pull the trigger on it.

A local place had Hornady brass for it.......5 bags believe it or not. I bought 1 bag. Paid dearly for it. :shock:

Got a box of 87 grain speer hot cor's coming and already got H4895 which is what I plan to load with. If all goes well that gun might see action in the woods yet this yr. (y)

ShadeTree":27b5ejd0 said:
Scottie's insistence had an effect I guess. In the end I caved, just couldn't hold off until spring to work on a load for the model 1920 that I bought in 250 savage. I gotta pull the trigger on it.

A local place had Hornady brass for it.......5 bags believe it or not. I bought 1 bag. Paid dearly for it. :shock:

Got a box of 87 grain speer hot cor's coming and already got H4895 which is what I plan to load with. If all goes well that gun might see action in the woods yet this yr. (y)

I think you made the right choice! :mrgreen:

Don't feel too bad, ever since you posted that I have been scouring the net looking for one of my own.... I couldn't help it! :lol:

SJB358":3uzk98mw said:
ShadeTree":3uzk98mw said:

I think you made the right choice! :mrgreen:

Don't feel too bad, ever since you posted that I have been scouring the net looking for one of my own.... I couldn't help it! :lol:

Ha! You wont find many, I've been looking myself just out of curiousity. I seen there was 1 on GB a week or so ago, but asking starting bid was more than double what I paid for mine and wasn't near as nice IMO. Don't remember if it was in 250 or 300 savage.

The scoundrel! He's good at compelling people to do what their better judgement says not to do! I know you'll enjoy it.

Scotty, Dr Mike, or whoever else wants to chime in. Need some advice on this old girl. Got some slop in the chamber....gonna neck up to 264 or maybe even 277 and neck back down to create a false shoulder to headspace off of to fire form brass initially.

Done it before but am being extra careful with this gun.

Hodgdon lists a starting load with H4895 of 33 grains and a max of 35.5. Velocities are 2913 and 3068 respectively. That's with a 10 twist so my velocities with 14 twist will be different, but pressures the same.

Normally I'd load a mid grain load for fire forming and let er' rip. In this case would you recommend the starting load or maybe even slightly lower??

I think necking up is the right way to go and starting with the minimum would be fine and where I’d start myself. It’s a strong rifle ST, but starting at the bottom to get nice FF’ed brass is a great idea. Plus it’ll give you a chance to zero it with those rounds and get an idea of what it’s going to do.

If you think all that is too much trouble I’ll send you my FFL, that way you don’t have to worry about it... :mrgreen:

SJB358":1nzv4nyt said:
I think necking up is the right way to go and starting with the minimum would be fine and where I’d start myself. It’s a strong rifle ST, but starting at the bottom to get nice FF’ed brass is a great idea. Plus it’ll give you a chance to zero it with those rounds and get an idea of what it’s going to do.

If you think all that is too much trouble I’ll send you my FFL, that way you don’t have to worry about it... :mrgreen:

What a helpful person you are. I suppose you would even be willing to test it out on game for me so I would know what to expect. You know, the whole customer service is number 1 thing. :mrgreen:

Do you think .010 is enough shoulder to hold with lower pressures, or should I go 2 calibers up to 277 before necking down?

If you think all that is too much trouble I’ll send you my FFL, that way you don’t have to worry about it... :mrgreen:[/quote]

Shameless Scotty, absolutely shameless! LOL
Too funny!

ShadeTree":25hbzv56 said:
SJB358":25hbzv56 said:

What a helpful person you are. I suppose you would even be willing to test it out on game for me so I would know what to expect. You know, the whole customer service is number 1 thing. :mrgreen:

Do you think .010 is enough shoulder to hold with lower pressures, or should I go 2 calibers up to 277 before necking down?

I think doing up to 264 will be plenty to give you a false shoulder ST.. It will give a nice tight lockup but should pop out easily. You’ll be good.

Offer still stands, I’ll even send you back formed brass...

Someday... :mrgreen:

SJB358":yh9xywtd said:
ShadeTree":yh9xywtd said:
SJB358":yh9xywtd said:

I think doing up to 264 will be plenty to give you a false shoulder ST.. It will give a nice tight lockup but should pop out easily. You’ll be good.

Lol. I'm afraid fawns born this past spring will have died of old age until the next time I'd get to see my rifle. :lol:

Thanks for the help. Appreciate it!

ShadeTree":u12ue2gh said:
SJB358":u12ue2gh said:
ShadeTree":u12ue2gh said:
SJB358":u12ue2gh said:

Lol. I'm afraid fawns born this past spring will have died of old age until the next time I'd get to see my rifle. :lol:

Thanks for the help. Appreciate it!

Wise man! (y)

[/quote]

Wise man! (y)[/quote]

Good man that Scotty is, but I'm afraid the temptation would be too much for him. 3 yrs from now he would be still be wondering the hills with his beard now down to his waist muttering to himself, "two more.........just kill two more with it then I'll give it back." :lol:

Wise man! (y)[/quote]

Good man that Scotty is, but I'm afraid the temptation would be too much for him. 3 yrs from now he would be still be wondering the hills with his beard now down to his waist muttering to himself, "two more.........just kill two more with it then I'll give it back." :lol:[/quote]

It’s like you know me! :mrgreen:

SJB358":2ucu2ofo said:

Wise man! (y)

Good man that Scotty is, but I'm afraid the temptation would be too much for him. 3 yrs from now he would be still be wondering the hills with his beard now down to his waist muttering to himself, "two more.........just kill two more with it then I'll give it back." :lol:[/quote]

It’s like you know me! :mrgreen:[/quote]

Not hard when looking in the mirror! :lol: Fellow rifle cranks think alike. :mrgreen: I knew next to nothing about this gun the first time I handled it, but knew I wanted it, and I bet you would've felt the same. Didn't know if I was paying too much for it or not, didn't matter. It was within my rifle budget and I knew I wasn't gonna see another one here local and it was just about the neatest thing I'd layed eyes on in a long time. Turns out I done alright on it, but like I said doesn't matter. If I'd of payed $200 too much, I still would be happy. I love it. This is one gun that has quickly become a not for sale gun, and I didn't even shoot it yet.

The guy I got it off of says he got it in the condition it's in, and he had it 6-8 yrs if I remember right. Not sure how long ago it was re-finished, 10 yrs, 30 yrs? But it was obviously never shot since, the bluing is still completely intact on the rear of the locking lugs. I aim to change that. :mrgreen:

If you look up the book “Shots at Whitetails” by Larry Koller you’ll see why I am so fascinated by the 1920. That is THE book of the day on deer hunting and was always enthralled with him and his fast handling little 1920.

They were the original lightweight BG hunting rifle. They were a 100 years before their time. If Savage released them today they wouldn’t be able to sell them fast enough.

SJB358":2xwab1qm said:
If you look up the book “Shots at Whitetails” by Larry Koller you’ll see why I am so fascinated by the 1920. That is THE book of the day on deer hunting and was always enthralled with him and his fast handling little 1920.

They were the original lightweight BG hunting rifle. They were a 100 years before their time. If Savage released them today they wouldn’t be able to sell them fast enough.

You mentioned Larry Koller grinning when I first posted this rifle. I didn't know who he was and thought maybe he was an older member on here that had passed, so I didn't ask.

Thanks for some more history and information to go with the gun. I will definitely look for a copy of that book.

Like I previously stated, I bought the gun because I wanted it, no more. Since then it has steadily become more special to me. The look, the feel, the weight and balance, and the age and history.

Yeah, I’m a sucker for history on rifles. The Mashburn is a Hagel reachback, the 338 is pure Keith, P64 270 Featherweight is all JOC, 375 Ackley was supposed to be a Page memory but the Wby didn’t work so it’s an Ackley, and on and on...

Back