Loading Ballistic Tips

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
You may not believe this but I have never load Ballistic Tips in any caliber I own and was curious if you seated them to the same or similar depths as you do Accubonds?
Also are they temperamental to get them to shoot accurately?

I seat them closer to the lands similar to partitions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Roger,

I, checked my log.
3006 0.02 off
243 win, 0.02 off,

So you should be fine at 0.025”.

Typically a 0.7” group.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use them interchangeably with Accubonds in like weights with respect to seating depth and powder charge. In my rifle they shoot to the same POI.

The Ballistic Tips are cup-and-core bullets, and should be treated as such. Thus, I typically load between 0.010 and 0.020 inches off the lands.

I only load them for a Tikka in 300 wsm and there the magazin-lenght is the limiting factor. Nothing longer than CIP max fits in.
Still shoots 1/2 moa.

We chose the 165 gr BT over the AB because the rifle was bought for long(er) range African plains game. Worked out to 650 yards with very satisfying results. I would give the 180's a try, but the owner is happy, so no changing a running system...

NP

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

I shoot 130s in my Winchester Model 70, 270 Winchester. They are 0.090" off the lands to 3.36 so they will function in my magazine. Still shoot really well that deep. Most of the time .7"-1" if I do my part. Hope this helps. You will not be disappointed. They are way tougher than everyone will lead you to believe. Don't be fooled by the name, they are a very robust bullet!

Ordered 150 180gr .308 so we will see if I can get them to shoot. SPS has over runs on sale.

Of all the Ballistic Tips I have loaded up, always worked very well from .005" to .020" off the lands. They aren't fussy to shoot great groups.

Still fairly new to reloading, when you say 0.02 of the lands, of your overall case length ,,,, for example 2.08, then it would now be 2.10, or did I go the wrong direction? Please try and explain it simply, not trying to sound dumb, but with out seeing. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

If you measure 2.80 inches to the point that the bullet first engraves the lands, then to load 0.020 inches off the lands, you would load 2.780 inches. There are various ways to measure OAL to the point that a cartridge touches the lands. One of the simplest is to invest in the Hornady OAL gauge (it used to be the Stoney Point OAL gauge). There are several other systems. For years, I simply crimped a fired cast to hold the bullet secure, making certain that the bullet was well beyond what would be anticipated to touch the lands. Then, I gently closed the bolt. Carefully opening the bolt, I would extract the cartridge and measure the OAL. Then, you can adjust for the depth you wish to seat the bullet.

I've only used them in a 280 Rem and 7mm-08, but in both they prefered to be much closer to the lands than the AB's.

DrMike":1yimlo80 said:
If you measure 2.80 inches to the point that the bullet first engraves the lands, then to load 0.020 inches off the lands, you would load 2.780 inches. There are various ways to measure OAL to the point that a cartridge touches the lands. One of the simplest is to invest in the Hornady OAL gauge (it used to be the Stoney Point OAL gauge). There are several other systems. For years, I simply crimped a fired cast to hold the bullet secure, making certain that the bullet was well beyond what would be anticipated to touch the lands. Then, I gently closed the bolt. Carefully opening the bolt, I would extract the cartridge and measure the OAL. Then, you can adjust for the depth you wish to seat the bullet.

The fella that taught me the basics of hand loading showed me to seat a bullet in a sized case and then pull the bullet, and repeat a couple times until you could push the bullet in the neck without a lot of force, but no too many times so that it was too easy to push in. Then just get the bullet started and close the bolt on it. I've since upgraded to the hornady gauge and modified cases.

I use lee collet neck dies a lot. If you just very lightly size the neck with a partial stroke of the press until you get the neck tension you want, you can then seat your bullet long and then chamber it. Pull the bullet back out so it's long again and chamber again. Measure each time and you should be able to get a pretty consistent number. No powder or primer while doing this.

I slit the neck of a sized case with a Dremel.
Gives enough hold, but the bullet can be pushed in by the lands.

NP

Whatever method gives you a consistent and repeatable result is all that matters in the end. As long as that's happening one method isn't necessarily better than another. Here's what I do.

I have a small plastic cleaning jag I filed the tip off of so the end is blunt and flat. On a closed action I put my cleaning rod with that flat jag on it, in from the muzzle end until it's against the bolt face.....bolt face can be a bolt, lever, or pump action.

Once it's against, put a short piece of tape on the cleaning rod next to the muzzle, taking care to make sure the edge is flush with the end of the muzzle.

Remove the cleaning rod, open up the action and drop into the chamber whatever bullet you're loading.

Run the cleaning rod with the flat jag on it back in from the muzzle end. On a bolt action I now have the bolt out and with a short rod from the back I move that bullet back and forth slightly with both rods a couple times and there is a distinctive STOP when it's against the lands. With a pump or lever you just need a stiff wire bent into a curve to put it into the chamber and against the back of the bullet.

With the bullet against the lands, just put another piece of tape on the cleaning rod flush against the muzzle. Pull it out and measure the 2 leading edges of tape with calipers. This is your maximum cartridge OAL with that bullet, in that rifle.

What I personally like about this method is, A. It gives very consistent readings. B. I ALWAYS already have the few pieces I need to quickly measure OAL with any bullet, with any cartridge, in any rifle.

truck driver":4m587tkg said:
You may not believe this but I have never load Ballistic Tips in any caliber I own and was curious if you seated them to the same or similar depths as you do Accubonds?
Also are they temperamental to get them to shoot accurately?

I've been loading them since they were introduced in the 1980's.

They've evolved over the years, becoming a stronger bullet than the initial version. The first ones were a little "soft" for my taste, but always accurate.

Yup the Ballistic Tip is my favorite bullet for deer sized game. Accurate, effective. I've also used the 165 gr Ballistic Tip from my 30-06 to make one-shot, 300+ yard kills on elk & black bear. Both kills were quick.

204 Ruger - 32 gr Ballistic Tip
6mm Rem - 95 gr Ballistic Tip
25-06 - 115 gr Ballistic Tip
308 - 125 gr Ballistic Tip
308 - 165 gr Ballistic Tip
30-06 - 165 gr Ballistic Tip

That's what I use now, though I've used others in other cartridges with great satisfaction.

I hope the 150's work out as well for you, as the various Ballistic Tips have worked out for me.

Regards, Guy

I absolutely am a big fan of ballistic tips for deer size game. Like Guy I've been using them since they hit the market. My personal favorite in my 06 is the 150 gr at a little over 2900.
Pretty much always given bang flop results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noslerpartition":1fe4z3ez said:
I slit the neck of a sized case with a Dremel.
Gives enough hold, but the bullet can be pushed in by the lands.

NP

That's what I do also. I was doing it before the Stoney Point gage or at least I'd never heard of it) so I've continued to do so. I keep the case in the box with the dies.

Bruce

Back