Nosler 120 gr Ballistic Tip 7mm....Enough for high shoulder?

350JR

Handloader
Sep 21, 2012
99 percent of the time I'm planning on using 140 grain Core lokt and Partitions along with 154 grain Hornady bullets in both spire point and round nose

But......

For longer ranges I've some 120gr ballistic tips loaded to 3100 plus or so in my 7x57.

I've read much on how tough this bullet is but I've lingering doubts on it for high shoulder shots on whitetail out where the trajectory from this load stands out a bit.

At 300 yards, my self imposed limit, JBM ballistic shows the bullet still running at over 2400 fps and over 1550 ft-lbs, both more than plenty but ...is the bullet construction "enough" considering the .213 SD for a high shoulder shot at 300 yards? (the deer simply cannot run in some areas or I'll not be allowed to go get it)

No, there isn't a whopping bunch of difference in energy OR drop using the 140 grain Partition........but a great expert at judging range is not my wheel house.......yet and no, I'm not buying a rangefinder, lol. I often have 15-30 seconds to decide to shoot or not.

I'll shy away from anything over 200 yards in most cases but should a boss buck be standing out there in a picked corn field at 300, I'm shooting, if I have a good solid rest. Opportunities for a nicer buck here are limited for the areas I have permission.

Both group well enough for this range in my 700 Classic but my faith in the standard cup and core of higher weight is being challenged by the 120 grain's trajectory and reputation for being "tougher than a lot of other 120 grain bullets".

Hopefull this doesnt sound like a moronic question. I just have reservations about this light a bullet being used for a high shoulder, drop right there effectiveness.

ANY experiences will be much appreciated.

God Bless
Steve

I'd say that if you doubt the 120 gr Ballistic Tip, and you've mentioned the 140 gr Partition... Then go with the Partition, you'll be more comfortable and confident in your choice.

Other than seeing the results from two of my friends, I have no experience with the 120 gr 7mm Ballistic Tip.

Closest thing I've seen in action is the 125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, from a 308 Win on a fat whitetail about 5 years ago. It went through both shoulder blades at about 120 yards, and was recovered, very flattened out, just under the off-side hide. That buck dropped instantly and wasn't going anywhere, but as is often the case with a high-shoulder/spine shot, another shot was required to finish the buck. I don't think that has anything to do with bullet weight - it's just a fairly common reaction to a high shoulder shot. I've made a number of those.

On similar shots with a 165 gr Ballistic Tip from my 308 or my 30-06, I see complete penetration, with an exit wound.

Partitions? They almost always exit. I can't think of one I've recovered, except the 200 gr Partition from the grizzly. He was just a wee bit thicker than a deer though! :)

Guy

Steve - re the rangefinder - here's how I use mine when I'm sitting in place, glassing for game:

I'll settle into my spot, then range two or three prominent features: a big rock, a blackened stump, the infamous "lone pine" or something... I'll mentally note the distances to those features, and know where my comfort zone is. May not even bother with the rangefinder after that.

"Oh, it's a little closer than the big rock that was at 220 yards. Bang."

Actually believe that my rangefinder has been one of my most useful hunting tools.

Best o' luck!

Guy

Thank you for that, Guy. In some areas I hunt I could do so.

In one in particular it wouldn't be useful. Deer come across an 800 acre picked cornfield.....literally anywhere.

It's been disced down to pieces/parts, not a rock in sight.

I'm sitting in the middle of it. SOME coming along a long, long grown up creek bed, I could, but they are doing one of two things opening weekend.

Hot on the tail of a doe, back and forth, back and forth.........or running after being pushed out of some nearby low ground. Once out in the field a couple hundred yards they often stop and look back.

A good idea though. I really should pick one up sometime. Won't be this season though. 6 days and counting.

Thanks again
God Bless

While I have not used the 7mm 120 BT, I have used the 6.5 120 BT and it worked fine.
With your numbers, I would not hesitate on that usage.

As for that open cornfield; you couuld put out stakes with flagging tape out in the field at known distances before hunting season so that when that buck does go by, you'll know if he's within your comfort zone. Just takethem down at the end of the season.Great wind indicators too.

I have seen the 120 gr. 7mm BT in action a few times out of a 7mm-08. It is a tough bullet.

One deer was shot thru the ribs with s great blood trail for 20 yards. Another was hit low and it destroyed both front legs. A terrible unfortunate shot that was quickly remedied.

What I learned from that poor hit was this:

-The 120 is a tough bullet. It shattered both front leg bones completely just below the brisket.
-The bullet at 200 yards out of the -08 does a lot of meat damage.

I would have no problem shooting a high shoulder shot on a deer with a 120. But, I would probably prefer the 140 gr. Partition to minimize meat damage if they shot equally well.

I had wondered about meat damage and in all the posts around the web I searched out, very few said a word about such with this bullet.
Previous experience with higher velocity, lighter bullets pointed towards more meat damage and was one of the reasons I was not planning on using them on anything where I thought I'd have under a 200 yard shot (out where impact velocity is approaching 2600fps or lower)...........so thank you for that.

I'm a meat hunter through and through. I might give em "one shot" literally but only in that one particular area, and I might not. Heading to the range today to just see how much difference there is between my loads at 300 yards, trajectory wise.

If any of the loads with the 140s I mention, or my 154gr Hornady bullets keep it "close enough for whom it's for", I'll be all over that like the semi-feral cats I feed are on chicken liver. :lol:

The trajectory calculators are fine but seeing it first hand is the decision maker. It's a bit of a drive for me to this range or I'd be there often. The rifle is new to me so I need to shoot it at that kind of range. Next year I'll have multiple chances to do the same but "time is of the essence" as they say with season arriving in 5 days. Such actions this close to season is not recommended and odd for me, but it is what it is, this year.

While the 120 BT has one heck of a following online and is said to have a "super heavy" jacket that is somewhat obvious to me simply because of the length of the bullet for it's weight, but was it enough to hold it together for "bone shots"?, I had to wonder.

Being one who normally shoots heavy for caliber bullets and with all previous shots being in areas where 200 yards is a LONG shot, this 300 yard area was definitely out of my area of experience (for anything but varmints).
I'd much prefer a 150 yarder with a 154gr round nose (since I cannot find any Sierra 170gr RN).

My thanks to all who took the time to reply
God Bless

"I'd much prefer a 150 yarder with a 154gr round nose (since I cannot find any Sierra 170gr RN)."

I hear you on that. I called Sierra a few years back and the answer I got led me to believe they'd never make that bullet again. They did say that it there were enough requests they might set up and do a run. I just wonder how nay requests they need?
My best answer to your problem is search the want ads in the gun sites. Hit every gun show you can and hope some one is dumping what they have. That's how I found the ones I have on hand. I still haven't found any of the 175 gr. Hornady RN's for love nor money. I'm thinking let's see just what those long heavy round nose bullet do. The only 175 gr. ammo I ever shot was Federal's back in 1973. Got a good hit on a nice eating size Mule Deer and off it ran. I've told the story before on how I shot it right around 8 AM and how the wife and I searched till sundown looking for the deer. I found it the next day with just what the coyotes and birds had left. How that deer was able to go over 200 yards in rough terrain with what I felt was a good hit is beyond me.
I have been giving some thought to Jack O'Connor's pet load with the 160 gr. Speer Hot Core. He and his wife used it in Africa for plains game and took some mighty nice critters including zebra which as supposed to be pretty tough.
I'm currently hoping with crossed fingers that the outfitter I use for elk gets a cancellation. I messed up and didn't book in time. I was thinking that if it comes about I might use the 7x57 and see if I make meat. I have a good load with Rl17 and the 150 gr. Partition that should work and maybe I'll see what happens with the 160 gr. Speer and 170 gr. Sierra. My M70 Featherweight has so far been really easy to find a good load so it's just getting that hunt.
Paul B.

You won't have any problem with this bullet. It is the go to bullet for my son's 7x57 mod 70 fwt and a friends mod 77 Ruger. Both of them have shot whitetails out to 300 yds thru the shoulders. My friend said this bullet turned his 7x57 around for him as he has quit using the 140gr bullets all together! Dan.

I wouldn’t worry, the 120 is tough. I’ve jug tested it at 2400 from my daughters 7-08 in jugs. Looks as perfect as an AccuBond could.

350JR":gi29y1ek said:
99 percent of the time I'm planning on using 140 grain Core lokt and Partitions along with 154 grain Hornady bullets in both spire point and round nose

But......

For longer ranges I've some 120gr ballistic tips loaded to 3100 plus or so in my 7x57.

I've read much on how tough this bullet is but I've lingering doubts on it for high shoulder shots on whitetail out where the trajectory from this load stands out a bit.

At 300 yards, my self imposed limit, JBM ballistic shows the bullet still running at over 2400 fps and over 1550 ft-lbs, both more than plenty but ...is the bullet construction "enough" considering the .213 SD for a high shoulder shot at 300 yards? (the deer simply cannot run in some areas or I'll not be allowed to go get it)
If you want a 120 go with the barnes X.
No, there isn't a whopping bunch of difference in energy OR drop using the 140 grain Partition........but a great expert at judging range is not my wheel house.......yet and no, I'm not buying a rangefinder, lol. I often have 15-30 seconds to decide to shoot or not.

I'll shy away from anything over 200 yards in most cases but should a boss buck be standing out there in a picked corn field at 300, I'm shooting, if I have a good solid rest. Opportunities for a nicer buck here are limited for the areas I have permission.

Both group well enough for this range in my 700 Classic but my faith in the standard cup and core of higher weight is being challenged by the 120 grain's trajectory and reputation for being "tougher than a lot of other 120 grain bullets".

Hopefull this doesnt sound like a moronic question. I just have reservations about this light a bullet being used for a high shoulder, drop right there effectiveness.

ANY experiences will be much appreciated.

God Bless
Steve

Back