LRX recovered from Elk

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
As promised.....This is the recovered bullet from my elk hunt 2 weeks ago. It is a 175 gr 308 cal LRX that started off at 3425 fps from my WBY KCR 30-378. The impact was at 355 yards and took out both shoulders and lungs.

Bullet weighs in at 114.4 gr and diameter of .446" at the widest.

A tough bullet, does it look like the petals sheared off and separated? Must have been from high velocity.

It still got the job done. (y)

I've seen a couple like that...always near point blank with the big boys.

What do you think the impact speed was?

Impact speed at 355 yds was about 2800 fps more or less.

Remember I nailed the second bull at 385 yards. behind near shoulder and out the rear of far ribs. Nice exit hole!

The bullet did the job. Nice catch and a great bull.
Congratulations again buddy.

JD338

FOTIS":9iqy08xi said:
As promised.....This is the recovered bullet from my elk hunt 2 weeks ago. It is a 175 gr 308 cal LRX that started off at 3425 fps from my WBY KCR 30-378. The impact was at 355 yards and took out both shoulders and lungs.

Bullet weighs in at 114.4 gr and diameter of .446" at the widest.

MY buddy shoots the 225 in his .338-378 w/ similar results !!!!! good job!

Did the elk fall so fast that it looked like it was struck by lightning, and raised a cloud of dust when it hit the dirt?
Great job on a magnificent animal!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Very nice Fotis. It’s good to see them opening up so easy. Makes it nice that you could run it in a 30-06 or 308 and expect expansion.

I've only ever had the petals come off on a regular TSX/TTSX once. I wonder if the LRX is more prone to that phenomenon?

I'm running the 127 LRX in my 6.5x300 Weatherby but haven't seen a bullet yet...

The LRX is indeed softer for expanding at longer ranges

Back