Berger bullets

lhsako

Handloader
Jan 12, 2012
Received some from Berger. Based on your collective experience, can I use the same charges as I use for my ballistic tips loads? I'm guessing they are " soft" and will slug the bore easily thereby raise pressure.

lhsako":2eepy8qm said:
Received some from Berger. Based on your collective experience, can I use the same charges as I use for my ballistic tips loads? I'm guessing they are " soft" and will slug the bore easily thereby raise pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Look up the load data on their web site.

John K Davis":6st46os5 said:
lhsako":6st46os5 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Look up the load data on their web site.
Their website only lists data for the 180. Will call them, However my questions is: has anyone here worked up loads with them?

To the OP, I’d be surprised if the load data couldn’t be safely interchanged, as long as you start with less than maximum loads and work gradually up.

The loads I’ve worked up with Bergers used roughly the same powder and generated around the same speeds as their NBT, Interlock and SGK counterparts.

Work your loads up with data you have for Nosler BTs if that’s all you have to go on.

bobnob":1zjrm0xx said:
To the OP, I’d be surprised if the load data couldn’t be safely interchanged, as long as you start with less than maximum loads and work gradually up.

The loads I’ve worked up with Bergers used roughly the same powder and generated around the same speeds as their NBT, Interlock and SGK counterparts.

Work your loads up with data you have for Nosler BTs if that’s all you have to go on.
I had them send their load data. it does correspond very closely to my bal tip data in my rifle.
velocities and max loads.
How far off the lands did the bergers shoot for you?
Better accuracy than the other bullets you tested?

my 140gr hunting VLD shoot best jammed . my 338 , 300 gr E hunter , and 300 gr OTM's shoot best with a jump . the same jump . those two bullets act identical for me . I'd have to look at my notes for how much jump I'm using .

jimbires":23lb3smg said:
my 140gr hunting VLD shoot best jammed . my 338 , 300 gr E hunter , and 300 gr OTM's shoot best with a jump . the same jump . those two bullets act identical for me . I'd have to look at my notes for how much jump I'm using .
i'm curious to see your data.

I'm jumping the 300 gr's .050" . I had a pretty wide seating depth area that seemed to shoot well . as I started shooting longer .050 jump proved to be the best .

my 7mm 140's . Berger VLD's are kind of known for being seating depth sensitive . nothing with a jump really stood at as being better than any other distance . so I tried seating right at the lands , just kissing them . from what I learned this is a bad place to be . a slight difference in length is going to be either a jump or a jam , not a good place to be . I now seat them .005 jammed , and they shoot pretty good . the problem with jamming a bullet is ; you probably can't eject a loaded round without a big mess . the bullet usually gets stuck in the bbl , and when you eject the case the powder goes all down through the action and trigger . it will cause you to go home early . how I use this rifle is I keep the magazine full . I will only chamber one when I have a shot . if I chamber one , and loose out on the shot , I shoot off that round when I need to empty the rifle . it's a major PITA . don't jam your bullets if you can avoid it. if this is a big game hunting rifle and it only shot well jammed , I'd be looking for a different bullet . I mostly just use this rifle for long range targets and groundhogs now . I did use it deer hunting when I would watch clear cuts , I use my 338 for this now .

jimbires":1zi0vh6v said:
I'm jumping the 300 gr's .050" . I had a pretty wide seating depth area that seemed to shoot well . as I started shooting longer .050 jump proved to be the best .

my 7mm 140's . Berger VLD's are kind of known for being seating depth sensitive . nothing with a jump really stood at as being better than any other distance . so I tried seating right at the lands , just kissing them . from what I learned this is a bad place to be . a slight difference in length is going to be either a jump or a jam , not a good place to be . I now seat them .005 jammed , and they shoot pretty good . the problem with jamming a bullet is ; you probably can't eject a loaded round without a big mess . the bullet usually gets stuck in the bbl , and when you eject the case the powder goes all down through the action and trigger . it will cause you to go home early . how I use this rifle is I keep the magazine full . I will only chamber one when I have a shot . if I chamber one , and loose out on the shot , I shoot off that round when I need to empty the rifle . it's a major PITA . don't jam your bullets if you can avoid it. if this is a big game hunting rifle and it only shot well jammed , I'd be looking for a different bullet . I mostly just use this rifle for long range targets and groundhogs now . I did use it deer hunting when I would watch clear cuts , I use my 338 for this now .
I never seat bullets to the lands in hunting rifles. hunting loads HAVE to be foolproof, chamber easily, extract easily as well. I run ALL my hunting loads through the chamber via the magazine. Hasn't failed me yet...

lhsako":g2g3u2xu said:
bobnob":g2g3u2xu said:

I had them send their load data. it does correspond very closely to my bal tip data in my rifle.
velocities and max loads.
How far off the lands did the bergers shoot for you?
Better accuracy than the other bullets you tested?

About 0.040” give or take. I’ve always found them very accurate, right up there with Sierra.

Back