Done with the 250 savage load.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Not a lot of time to mess with it, found a decent shooting node a grain under book max at 2975 with the 87 grain speers. There was also a good load over 3000 but at the ranges I plan on shooting this gun I'm more concerned about bullet integrity than speed.

This load will shoot 3/4" with the iron sights at 50 yds if I do my part. Worst thing was adjusting the windage on that bolt peep. Elevation is easy to do on the spot, windage cannot be done without stripping the bolt, clamping it in a vice, and using a brass rod I filed down to fit in the dovetail to rap with a hammer and move it over. Twice I didn't go far enough to the right. Currently I'm a little too far with the average 3/8"-1/2" right of center but it's such a bear to get correct, I'm leaving it there for now. (I think :lol: )

I don't plan on shooting this far in the woods with open sights, but just for giggles I tacked up a paper at 100 yds and fired one shot. It hit 2.75" right of center. We should be ready to roll.

There you go!! You gotta be pretty happy w/ that. 87 Gr's... lets see you're ready for squirrels... right? :shock: :lol: :grin: Sorry- couldn't resist. Any Deer within 150 yards is in grave danger. Pics will be required. You'll have to try some 100gr BT's. Ive only had it over a Chrono once so I don't know how accurate the readings were but I was getting 2900 with 35 Gr of 4064, In a 250`that would be a thumper. It punched a hole through the pronghorn to the left at 260+ yards. Best of luck. CL

ShadeTree":w0dts991 said:
Not a lot of time to mess with it, found a decent shooting node a grain under book max at 2975 with the 87 grain speers. There was also a good load over 3000 but at the ranges I plan on shooting this gun I'm more concerned about bullet integrity than speed.

This load will shoot 3/4" with the iron sights at 50 yds if I do my part. Worst thing was adjusting the windage on that bolt peep. Elevation is easy to do on the spot, windage cannot be done without stripping the bolt, clamping it in a vice, and using a brass rod I filed down to fit in the dovetail to rap with a hammer and move it over. Twice I didn't go far enough to the right. Currently I'm a little too far with the average 3/8"-1/2" right of center but it's such a bear to get correct, I'm leaving it there for now. (I think :lol: )

I don't plan on shooting this far in the woods with open sights, but just for giggles I tacked up a paper at 100 yds and fired one shot. It hit 2.75" right of center. We should be ready to roll.

ST! Great work buddy! Really have enjoyed watching you work with this 250 Savage! I am hoping you get a chance at a good buck with the old devil!

Any chance you could stuff one of those 87 grain Speers into the water jugs? I'd love to see what it looks like at 3000 FPS'ish.

SJB358":143yucy1 said:
ShadeTree":143yucy1 said:

ST! Great work buddy! Really have enjoyed watching you work with this 250 Savage! I am hoping you get a chance at a good buck with the old devil!

Any chance you could stuff one of those 87 grain Speers into the water jugs? I'd love to see what it looks like at 3000 FPS'ish.

I wont be able to in the next couple days, but I oughta be able to sometime before I need it. I really should do that as I'd feel better knowing what I'm dealing with. Planning on behind the shoulder shots only, but plans don't always work out that way.

I know I got a plenty good shooting load at the starting load I used to fireform the brass. That should be down there around 2825-2850 with a 22 inch barrel. If need be I'll drop it down there.

I've done a lot of checking and called a few bullet manufacturer's to get bullet lengths. I'm positive it will stabilize the 100 grain speer hc, it's short enough and I can run the speeds up with it being a bolt action, but no time to go that route for this yr.

That's the lone bullet of comparable weight that's available anymore for a slower twist. Everything else is too long according to twist rate calculators, including Nosler's shortest 25 cal hunting bullet, the 100 gr Partition. Hornady quit making their short 100 gr FB interlock.

A little confused, and being a know it all, I'm curious. You say you didn't go far enough to the right. Not sure if you meant the peep or the POI? With irons, I was instructed to move the rear sight the direction you want POI to move - left in this case. Regardless, great rifle!
EE2

elkeater2":2zfqo1em said:
A little confused, and being a know it all, I'm curious. You say you didn't go far enough to the right. Not sure if you meant the peep or the POI? With irons, I was instructed to move the rear sight the direction you want POI to move - left in this case. Regardless, great rifle!
EE2

No, you're not confused and correct, but my post might of been confusing if not looking at the original target.

When fireforming the cases it shot an average of 2.5" to the left at 50 yds. I moved the peep post to the right two different times and was still just over an inch to the left. The 3rd time I moved it a little to far to the right, and should come back left. But it would be such a minor adjustment at this point I'm thinking I'll let it be for now. That dovetailed bolt peep doesn't move when rapping it, then all of a sudden moves a jump.

This is the original target.

Dang- ignore me- and my 100 gr comment. I forgot about your likely 1:14 twist rate. If I haven't said it before 75 gr V-max's are just a hoot to shoot. Bet they would work good. Got any wood chucks in your neck of the woods..? CL

No problem Cloverleaf, just what I'm able to work with for this yr on a short time frame to get it ready. Be real surprised if I can't get those short 100 grain Speer's to work for next yr.

Yeah we got some ground pigs around here. A light, short range load for those open sights with that light gun would be a hoot!

Looking forward to the results of your hunt with the little rifle & bullet.

It doesn't take a cannon! My son and I have hunted successfully with 95 & 100 gr bullets, and I killed quite a few deer over the years on duty with a little 55 grain soft point from an AR-15. Shot placement is key, as always.

Love your project - and you may have just made me discard my budding plans of putting the 2.5x scope back on my 30-30 Glenfield. I have certainly shot it better and more confidently with the scope, but... I have other scoped rifles. I want that one to work well, with just the sights.

Guy

Guy Miner":2s8h2mpt said:
Looking forward to the results of your hunt with the little rifle & bullet.

It doesn't take a cannon! My son and I have hunted successfully with 95 & 100 gr bullets, and I killed quite a few deer over the years on duty with a little 55 grain soft point from an AR-15. Shot placement is key, as always.

Love your project - and you may have just made me discard my budding plans of putting the 2.5x scope back on my 30-30 Glenfield. I have certainly shot it better and more confidently with the scope, but... I have other scoped rifles. I want that one to work well, with just the sights.

Guy

Guy, all of a sudden I realized that shooting scoped guns and trying to get everything just right at distance, makes us way overthink these iron sighted guns.

There's only 2.5 grains between starting and top load with H4895 on this 250. When I was going up through the powder charges checking velocities, there was hardly an inch difference between the starting load and top load, at 50 yds.

I need to just pick a velocity I'm looking for with this bullet and go hunting using the gun at distances open sights are typically intended for. 100 yds is about my limit with open sights, and I doubt I'll be shooting that far in the woods with it. Based on what I seen it will put any velocity I pick into 3" at 100 if I have the bead at the right spot when it's touched off.

Looking forward to your hunt with it ST!

I hear you on irons. Get a decent load and go forth killing stuff.

lhsako":2fao00jy said:
Try the flat base 100 grainers. may stabilize a little better.

Yep in hindsight I should've just went with the 100 grain speers as I'm sure they will be fine, but I didn't have a lot of time and was going into the old gun as completely unchartered territory, so I went with what I knew wouldn't give me any issues in that regard for this yr, the 87 grainer.

Can't prove anything till you try it, but should be fine behind the shoulder. I've killed several deer with like weighted bullets in 6mm and moderate speeds, with behind the shoulder shots that provided stellar results.

SJB358":epyppmaz said:

Haha. You're sounding all Biblical here on this Sunday morning. I shall do my best to obey your instructions. (y) :grin:

ShadeTree":24n9u7z4 said:
SJB358":24n9u7z4 said:

Haha. You're sounding all Biblical here on this Sunday morning. I shall do my best to obey your instructions. (y) :grin:

I love seeing those old rifles out in the field doing what they were built for. I love just about all darned cartridges and usually wanna try the newer stuff out, but there is a piece that loves the old ones and anything created by Newton is the top of my list!

Man, can you imagine what Newton would have come up with using the powders and other stuff we have today?

Dwh7271":3g2gvoay said:
Man, can you imagine what Newton would have come up with using the powders and other stuff we have today?

The 30 Newton isn't too far from the 300 PRC from my view of the specs on both of them. Pretty incredible he made it up a 100 yards ago...

SJB358":1xkjrrpa said:
Dwh7271":1xkjrrpa said:

The 30 Newton isn't too far from the 300 PRC from my view of the specs on both of them. Pretty incredible he made it up a 100 yards ago...

Sorry going back through some old posts looking for something.... Any way, You are so right. Look at the numbers for a 256 Newton,, a 6.5 aint nothing new. To say nothing of THE cartridge (250 -3000 Sav.) for those few of you who didnt see that coming... :), CL

Back