Old School 300 Powders

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
Been playing with a 300Win mag for a while trying to develop a good load with 180gr AB and 180gr PT.
Tried R26 (great velocity ), R22, R19, H1000, H4831 (slow but steady) and H4350.
My loads with R22,R19 and H4831 were not over 2900fps and could have been faster, The H4831 load was at 2800fps and very accurate with 180gr Hornady Sp Sp.
The H4350 load was Elkmans stand by 72grs with a 180gr PT and AB, velocity was around 3050fps and shot very good with the ABs not real tight with the PTs but huntable.
Here's some pictures. OH and I got the Chrony to read every shot and never missed a one, I'll have to remember to test only on cloudy or over cast days :)>).

Attachments

• KIMG0144.jpeg
    KIMG0144.jpeg
    268.2 KB · Views: 962
  • KIMG0148.jpeg
    KIMG0148.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 962
  • KIMG0150.jpeg
    KIMG0150.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 962
  • KIMG0149.jpeg
    KIMG0149.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 962
Have you tried IMR 7828? Or IMR 7828 SSC?
The original 7828 has been around for several years and is quite a good Magnum cartridge powder.
Especially for the .300 Win Mag. And, if you have a 24 inch barrel or longer, the better velocities you'll get with this one.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

TD, I just noticed your 180 Partition load. Frankly with that one you’ve got excellent speed so I’d think about getting it up close to .005 from the rifling, .030, .060 and .090 and maybe .120 from the rifling and trying those out. I’m betting a dollar one of those will show you where it wants to shoot.

Saying all that, I’d load up 6 more of the 180 AccuBond load, verify the zero and be incredibly happy if they repeat. You won’t find any difference in animals with the 180 Accubonds or Partitions. At least not that I have seen.

HAWKEYESATX":fgr96bsu said:
Have you tried IMR 7828? Or IMR 7828 SSC?
The original 7828 has been around for several years and is quite a good Magnum cartridge powder.
Especially for the .300 Win Mag. And, if you have a 24 inch barrel or longer, the better velocities you'll get with this one.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
No I haven't but thanks for suggesting it. Right now I want to use what I have on hand instead of buying more of something I don't know.
SJB358":fgr96bsu said:
TD, I just noticed your 180 Partition load. Frankly with that one you’ve got excellent speed so I’d think about getting it up close to .005 from the rifling, .030, .060 and .090 and maybe .120 from the rifling and trying those out. I’m betting a dollar one of those will show you where it wants to shoot.

Saying all that, I’d load up 6 more of the 180 AccuBond load, verify the zero and be incredibly happy if they repeat. You won’t find any difference in animals with the 180 Accubonds or Partitions. At least not that I have seen.
Thanks Scotty I sort of thought the velocity was good just wasn't sure how to dial them in. If the Hornady loads where were over 2900fps I would be extremely happy with them but still good enough for deer should I decide to adjust the scope to suit them.

Roger I am using the AB's in my 7mm's and have had very good performance, similar to the PT. I think I have only shot about 5 elk with them, but have not been disappointed at all. Most in the 200 to 400 yard range.

Elkman":3yd1gtaq said:
Roger I am using the AB's in my 7mm's and have had very good performance, similar to the PT. I think I have only shot about 5 elk with them, but have not been disappointed at all. Most in the 200 to 400 yard range.

That's a pretty big deal for him to say as well, cause he might have a tractor trailer load of elk with Partitions at this point..

Elkman":35xh6hv9 said:
I use them in my 7mm also but have not been able to wrap myself around it even though it shoots good and probably more accurate then my 300 Win.
Maybe one day when I can't take the recoil any longer I'll step down to it since I had my shoulder scoped years ago and expect it to get sensitive as I get older.

We had great results with 76gr R22, Fed 215M, WW cases, Barnes 180 XBT. Now, that 76gr load may/may not work with any other bullet, but with that Barnes it worked in 3 different rifles. We used them in South Africa then over in Namibia. In Namibia it would get down to 20 deg at night but 120 deg by noon! Never had a sticky bolt. Good luck to you Pard. Having said that, when all else fails...H4831. :)

truck driver":34m48qo5 said:
Elkman":34m48qo5 said:
I use them in my 7mm also but have not been able to wrap myself around it even though it shoots good and probably more accurate then my 300 Win.
Maybe one day when I can't take the recoil any longer I'll step down to it since I had my shoulder scoped years ago and expect it to get sensitive as I get older.

That 7 over yours is a helluva rifle TD. It’s ashame you cant like it. Never seen anything a 7 couldn’t do that a 300 could or vice versa. Bullets being the same of course. The big 300 will come around pretty quick I bet. Sounds like a good project. You already have some great loads, I believe you’re getting great results.

I load for a couple of .300's and Reloader 22 has always easily pushed 180's beyond 3000 fps. I've since switched to 23 but 22 and 23 have been nearly identical for me in the .300. That is not true of other cartridges.

SJB358":262amcsg said:
truck driver":262amcsg said:
Elkman":262amcsg said:

That 7 of yours is a helluva rifle TD. It’s a shame you cant like it. Never seen anything a 7 couldn’t do that a 300 could or vice versa. Bullets being the same of course. The big 300 will come around pretty quick I bet. Sounds like a good project. You already have some great loads, I believe you’re getting great results.
Thanks Scotty, about the 7mm maybe I expect more out of it then it gives with all the hype it has gotten over the years I guess I was thinking it would be something magical which in reality it is good but not fantastic at least not for me. When the 300PRC gets going and they start experimenting with the case making wildcats off of it that might be interesting, a 7mm Newton :)>)
ROVERT":262amcsg said:
I load for a couple of .300's and Reloader 22 has always easily pushed 180's beyond 3000 fps. I've since switched to 23 but 22 and 23 have been nearly identical for me in the .300. That is not true of other cartridges.
I've thought about trying some but not till I find out completely how the rifle will perform with the older type powders. So far I have had only one Reloader powder work great for me and that is R17 which is my 338Win go to powder, by great I find max velocity not one of the reasons.( Fire Storm building :) )
Reloader powders run great in electric powder dispensers due to the smaller grains but being old school I hand weigh all my charges and hand trickle all my loads since I find reloading a way to relax and chill out and enjoy doing everything slow.
Thanks for the response and I will look at some later since I have been curious how it will work for me.

truck driver":3uc0nc8u said:
Been playing with a 300Win mag for a while trying to develop a good load with 180gr AB and 180gr PT.
Tried R26 (great velocity ), R22, R19, H1000, H4831 (slow but steady) and H4350.
My loads with R22,R19 and H4831 were not over 2900fps and could have been faster, The H4831 load was at 2800fps and very accurate with 180gr Hornady Sp Sp.
The H4350 load was Elkmans stand by 72grs with a 180gr PT and AB, velocity was around 3050fps and shot very good with the ABs not real tight with the PTs but huntable.
Here's some pictures. OH and I got the Chrony to read every shot and never missed a one, I'll have to remember to test only on cloudy or over cast days :)>).

Based on your H4350 findings, I’d load some 200 Grain Accubonds & see if 2,900 is attainable & accurate: this combo has been real good on paper with me.

I’ve not yet harvested anything with the 200s, but I can’t help but believe the 200s clicking along @ around 2900 would effectively slay anything in North America big enough to die that don’t have the built in Big Claws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hseII":it0jxq25 said:
truck driver":it0jxq25 said:

Based on your H4350 findings, I’d load some 200 Grain Accubonds & see if 2,900 is attainable & accurate: this combo has been real good on paper with me.

I’ve not yet harvested anything with the 200s, but I can’t help but believe that combo of 200s clicking @ around 2900 would effectively slay anything in North America big enough to die that don’t have the built in Big Claws.

The 200's have been considered but being hard headed and having a bunch of the 180s I want to make them work and so far I have been able to find some combos that are looking up to my expectations.

truck driver":3i7m4szl said:
hseII":3i7m4szl said:
truck driver":3i7m4szl said:

I’ve not yet harvested anything with the 200s, but I can’t help but believe that combo of 200s clicking @ around 2900 would effectively slay anything in North America big enough to die that don’t have the built in Big Claws.

The 200's have been considered but being hard headed and having a bunch of the 180s I want to make them work and so far I have been able to find some combos that are looking up to my expectations.

Run What You Brung Man.

truck driver":2jwv63ea said:
whats the charge for the RL22?

lhsako":3b1r6iiz said:
truck driver":3b1r6iiz said:
I had tried several different charges with out good results for accuracy but could have been the bullet seeking a different seating depth.

truck driver":241a4z6t said:
lhsako":241a4z6t said:
I had tried several different charges with out good results for accuracy but could have been the bullet seeking a different seating depth.

I believe you said you were under 2900 fps with it. I've definitely seen the accuracy come together with a little more pressure with Reloader 22 (and others but definitely 22). How close to 75-76 grains did you get?

TruckDriver, I got great accuracy out of my 300 Win Mag with 180 Accubonds and RL 22. I used 74.4 grains to get 3,160 fps back in the spring (70 degrees) and shot very well. Have you tried to get to that speed yet to see if it works in yours. I noticed that it shot well close to maximum pressure. I did a ladder test up to 75 plus grains until I saw pressure, an ejector hole mark on the head of the Norma brass at 3,260 fps. and backed off to 3,160 fps for accuracy. I believe its about .010" off the lands as well.

TackDriver284":23gt030z said:
TruckDriver, I got great accuracy out of my 300 Win Mag with 180 Accubonds and RL 22. I used 74.4 grains to get 3,160 fps back in the spring (70 degrees) and shot very well. Have you tried to get to that speed yet to see if it works in yours. I noticed that it shot well close to maximum pressure. I did a ladder test up to 75 plus grains until I saw pressure, an ejector hole mark on the head of the Norma brass at 3,260 fps. and backed off to 3,160 fps for accuracy. I believe its about .010" off the lands as well.
Without checking my diary I believe they were around 71grs and the velocity about 2870-2880fps. yeah it was a light charge and I could have went for more but it was a try me load and when I first started loading for it I tried Noslers most accurate charge and didn't get the results I was looking for.
My rifle has a long throat and I have put a 3.6" mag box in it and a short bolt stop. The long mag box had thrown me for a loop since it change the load development when I seated bullets out to over 3.5" OAL. My powder charges were low in the brass and the base of the bullet wasn't in the powder or even near the powder. This changed everything.
So I have have been fishing to find something that works for me.

Thanks for all the suggestions they are appreciated and when I get a chance this coming spring I will try some other things hate working up loads with temps below freezing and cold winds blowing. :)>)

75-76 of RL22 with a 180 Partition of AccuBond seated accordingly has always performed well. At least out of the few 300 Wins I’ve owned and a few more for friends. It’s darned near perfect for use with about anything you can load in a 300. I’d bet money when you come up to pressure it’ll be more impressive.

Back