Brass Brands

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
I know there are premium brands and then there are domestic brands.
Remington,Winchester, Federal and Hornady are a few domestic brands I can think of and was wondering which you consider the best in 300 Win mag.
I've read where all of them are less then desirable but one can get by with one or the other after culling so which one would you pick?

Some people hate it, but I've had exceptionally good results from Hornady brass. I'd rank Federal as the worse- the primer pockets just don't last.

Remington also has a lot of variability in OAL...some shorter than spec.

TD, I went straight to new Norma. Enough that I might not need more. I love it. Shoots lights out.

Wanted to get the same mfg lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I preferentially use Norma, RWS or Lapua. Pricey, but good. I've used lots of Winchester brass, which is generally good brass. I find Remington to be somewhat brittle. Hornady brass stands up well. If you're willing to avoid stressing the brass by maxing out chamber pressures and anneal as required, all of it will give you decent life.

I always used Norma in my 7mm and 300 Magnums. They last a good while if annealed properly. Already on 5 firings and just loaded a batch for the 6th firing.

I always liked good quality brass. Nosler, Norma and Lapua are my picks for my rifles. I never had the chance to try out RWS, Alpha or Petersons yet and I hear good results about them as well from other folks.

Roger, I have been using the WW /Rem head stamps for 48 years now. For years I loaded my hunting loads with the Remington cases, just so that I could keep them separate, the bullets look the same once they are in the cases. I think in my rifle the WW are slightly more accurate. I did shoot a nice 1.12" group on Friday at 300 yards using them and very old Speer !80 gr Bullets. I don't weigh them just put load them and shoot.

Elkman":1izxipew said:
Roger, I have been using the WW /Rem head stamps for 48 years now. For years I loaded my hunting loads with the Remington cases, just so that I could keep them separate, the bullets look the same once they are in the cases. I think in my rifle the WW are slightly more accurate. I did shoot a nice 1.12" group on Friday at 300 yards using them and very old Speer !80 gr Bullets. I don't weigh them just put load them and shoot.
Bill I did that also for years till I came here and drank the coolaid, discovered QL and learnt how to make accurate ammo which as you I never had a problem with before and just loaded some up with which ever powder gave the best book velocities and seated the bullets to book depths and went shooting and hunting. I learned new tricks along the way to build better loads to give better accuracy and left it go at that heck even loaded mixed brand cases with out thinking about separating it. Now I don't mix case brands but do use WW/Rem and Nosler but got what I consider a sub standard batch from Nosler and won't pay the price for it again.
lhsako":1izxipew said:
I wonder who actually manufactures hornady brass?
It might be Jagemann since they make a lot of OEM brass for other companies and a lot of bulk brass for distributors
TackDriver284":1izxipew said:
I always used Norma in my 7mm and 300 Magnums. They last a good while if annealed properly. Already on 5 firings and just loaded a batch for the 6th firing.

I always liked good quality brass. Nosler, Norma and Lapua are my picks for my rifles. I never had the chance to try out RWS, Alpha or Petersons yet and I hear good results about them as well from other folks.
Norma has been considered but again I'm cheap so looking for something good for less. Maybe ADG will get the nod or Sig.
DrMike":1izxipew said:
I preferentially use Norma, RWS or Lapua. Pricey, but good. I've used lots of Winchester brass, which is generally good brass. I find Remington to be somewhat brittle. Hornady brass stands up well. If you're willing to avoid stressing the brass by maxing out chamber pressures and anneal as required, all of it will give you decent life.
Problems I've had with Rem brass has stemed from how they camfer the primer pocket mouth and My primers look like tiny rimfire cases and the edge blows out because it is unsupported.
I just can't justify using RWS,Lapua and the other pricey brass yes it's the best but I'm not shooting competition so it's not needed for what I do.

Back