Anxious Range Day

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
Went to the range to verify so loads and everything was going well the 300 Win repeated the 30-06 groups shrank since I increased the powder charge from 57-58.5grs of R17 with a 165gr PT.
Next was the 35/AI since I had it out of the stock for cleaning and rust prevention I wanted to make sure the poi hadn't changed or if I needed to tweak it.
Had some ammo left over from last year that I was going to use.
Went to chamber the first round and it wouldn't chamber and actually stuck in the chamber about 3/4 way in and I had to force the bolt back. I said a few choice words and tried a second round and a third round all with the same results. Packed everything up and came home to investigate what was wrong.
Checked the ammo and it was well with in tolerances. Had a few rounds loaded for fire forming in standard cases and they fell right in and out of the chamber with out a hitch.
Ran some cleaning patches in it and still no luck.
Being disparate I got a bronze brush a length of cleaning rod and put the rod in the hand drill. Lubed the brush with solvent and preceded to clean the chamber and throat. Wiped it out and tried chambering a round, it chambered but was still sticky so I grabbed a over size cotton mop put it on the rod and grabbed a tube of flitz put some on the mop and proceeded to polish the chamber to make sure I had it smoothed out and good and clean.
The chamber is very tight and the oil I had used to preserve it from rust had varnished the chamber making it under sized.
Dang glad it happened at the range and not on a hunt hours from home.
I always wipe out the barrel and bore before I go to the range or hunting if I have cleaned and used rust preventive.
First I ever had this happen but there is always a first time for everything.
I included a picture of three empties I used trying to chamber them before cleaning.
You cam see rub marks about a 1/2" up from the base where the varnish rubbed the brass. One is sized and prepped for loading and two had been new brass that had been fire formed in the chamber last fall.

Attachments

• KIMG0152 (3).jpeg
    KIMG0152 (3).jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 640
"The chamber is very tight and the oil I had used to preserve it from rust had varnished the chamber making it under sized."

Interesting.

I'm also glad you discovered this at the range, not on a hunt!

Guy

What oil did you use that dried up and varnished? WD40 is the only stuff that I know of that will do that because it is actually not an oil but a water displacement spray. Best gun oil I have ever used is synthetic motor oil. I use 5w30 WalMart brand full synthetic just like I use in my trucks and cars.

1Shot":3fglobvr said:
What oil did you use that dried up and varnished? WD40 is the only stuff that I know of that will do that because it is actually not an oil but a water displacement spray. Best gun oil I have ever used is synthetic motor oil. I use 5w30 WalMart brand full synthetic just like I use in my trucks and cars.
I usually use Miltech oil and grease but I'm not sure if I tried something different in it or not.
I used Kroil to cut threw the varnish and then Bortech carbon cutter to clean it out following up with the Flitz polishing the chamber and more Bortech to clean the Flitz out.
First time I have ever had a rifle not chamber a round of brass that had been fired in it, some over length brass needing trimming but not anything that was in spec.

Strange things can happen with chemicals and the environment. I maintain that the only fail safe method is to cycle all the rounds you intend to hunt with in the field through the chamber. In a safe place of course newbies.

1Shot":orq3acqs said:

Mobil 1 here, but yes, Synthetic Engine oil is gooooood stuff...

Back