6.5 creedmoor seater die advice

Tobey284

Beginner
Mar 27, 2011
Hi guys, starting to work up loads in my daughter's 6.5 creed for her oryx hunt in february (just found out she's going). Currently working with 140 AccuBond and 143 eldx and rl 26. Using a hornady seating die, the die is deforming (crimping) the tips of the bullets on heavily compressed loads. In the past I have seen the seater leave rings on compressed loads in other cartridges, but this is the first time I've seen actual damage to the tips. Any recommendations on different dies/seater stems? I've had good results with this die and 120-129 grain bullets, didn't see a problem til using 140 class bullets and compressed loads. Thanks for your time

My Hornady dies came with the "143ELDX" seating stem up under the foam in the upper right corner. It's a stem with more room for the bullet tips.

I've not had any issues with tip deformation using it. Apparently the long, high BC bullets can run out of room in the standard seating stem. In the "regular" seating stem the tip bottoms out before the ogive makes full contact.

Back